chemical reactions

bandaidgirl

can anyone help me figure out what type of reactions these are? not a real brain when it comes to chemistry.

NaOH + HCl--> NaCl +H20

4Fe + 302 --> 2Fe2O3

CH4 +2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2

BaCl2 + Na2SO4 --> BaSO4 + 2NaCl

Zn + 2AgNO3 --> 2Ag + Zn(NO3)2

2HgO --> 2Hg + O2

and explain how you come up with these. thanks

This should be moved to HW help.

I'm gonna group these into the following classes (based on what I remember from HS chem): synthesis, decomposition, combustion, single replacement, double replacement. Post if this is way off base.

Synthesis is when 2 (or more, but usually 2) separate things (usually elements) come together to form one product.

Decomposition is the opposite of synthesis, where one reactant is broken down into 2 or more products.

Combustion is a reaction between a carbon containing compound and oxygen. They have water and CO2 as products (I think you omitted something from the combustion reaction you posted).

Single replacement is where one metal swaps with another in a compound. Identify them by looking at the reagents: one reactant will be a free (not bonded to anything) element, the other will be an ionic compound, and will have a bound (bonded to something) metal. In the products, the metals switch places, i.e. the metal that was bound is now free and the metal that was free is now bound.

Double replacement is where you have two ionic compounds in the reactants and they switch places in the product. These tend to be acid/base type reactions, but it is easier to just look for the ions trading partners.