Project Pluto - Cold War nuclear powered ramjet cruise missile

CaptainPanic

I was clicking through Youtube on a cold evening during the holidays. I just want to share it with you all. I always knew the world was crazy during the cold war... but a nuclear powered ramjet cruise missile the size of a locomotive? It's a good documentary, considering it's from the Discovery Channel, or Discovery Wings - lots of info, and pictures of how it is actually built and how it works.

It's in 5 parts (total of about 43 minutes): Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.

There's also a short wikipedia page about it.

And just to have something to discuss - does anyone think that a nuclear missile that cannot leave the atmosphere makes sense? I think it's a completely stupid idea, and a great decision that they never actually launched a prototype.

Aircraft reactor engines were built as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Reactor_Experiment

400px-Aircraft_reactor_experiments_2001.jpg

If you ever find yourself in and around Idaho Falls, Idaho you can visit this site. As you drive down the highway there is a sign that says "Historical Site Ahead." They are just sitting there and you can climb all over them if you want. A little further down the road you can visit EBR-I. I think they have a park ranger there, but they mostly let you roam around as you like both inside and out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBR-I