Battlestar Galactica (Warning: spoilers)

ydoaPs

To me that seemed like the kind of "under rug clean up" you play when you treat the plot as a giant mad lib game - which to their credit they did play very well. Not everything can be planned out, but I think they played it too close to the edge and it suffered a bit as a result. (And gained in other aspects too sure, I'm not a writer so I can't really criticize too much.)

I don't know, Padren, I think it can be planned out and in fact, I don't understand any writing method that doesn't plan it out first. I would never put proverbial pen to paper until I knew exactly how the story is to end, the major themes and the point of what I'm trying to do. Everything else then, can be critiqued about how I got there - but to start things without a cause, to create without a purpose - makes no sense to me.

So, yeah, I agree with you here in that it sucks entirely to create mysteries and lay down plot without the detail of direction and coherence, consistency - just thrown to a close. The best twists in any plot, are those that can be reconciled with the events throughout the story and it holds up, solid. And I don't think that can be done by throwing together excuses after-the-fact. And like I pointed out, I'm not sure how a writer does that, in the first place. That's like...storyline fraud. Isn't there a name for this horrible thing?

I guess the reason this stuff doesn't really bother me too much is because I never liked it to begin with. To me, BSG was best as the mini series intro, and the first season, and razor. Once we get into the final 5, Hera, maps and quests and religious silliness, it lost it's honesty for me. Some of the struggle with mythology/reality and finding earth was kind of cool and actually fairly honest to the human condition, I thought. But the rest ruined the gritty, realism that started this whole thing.

Hendrix was, since his version was soooo much better.

But they’re Bob Dylan’s words. Except apparently they aren’t. I assume we were initially intentionally led to believe that the old Earth was our Earth, and the song was a resurfacing memory of that or something. But our Earth is in the future. So where did they come from originally? “God?” Does Ron Moore really love the song that much? And why do shades of it appear in the Book of Isaiah 150k odd years later, only to be accurately reproduced a couple thousand years after that by an injured beat folk singer in the Mojave Desert? Writers’ answers: “Hey, look at the dancing robots!”

Wasn't that just about prescience, and not really any purpose? I never thought the dream was supposed to help, in any way.

Ok, but that sure seemed like a huge amount of significance given to that prescience over the course of the whole series, and it all led up to… what? An awkwardly inserted, totally unnecessary moment that was only significant to the characters involved because it mirrored their dreams.

Oh, and what have the centurians been up to for the last 150 thousand years?

Oh' date=' and is Bob Dylan a Cylon, or what?[/quote']

Hendrix was, since his version was soooo much better.

But they’re Bob Dylan’s words.

...yet the Hendrix version is what they played at the end of the episode.

It's almost like it doesn't make sense or something!

...yet the Hendrix version is what they played at the end of the episode.

It's almost like it doesn't make sense or something!

But it does! If you notice, musically, everytime they play All Along the Watchtower in the show, it's intermingled with bits of Heeding the Call, otherwise known as the final five song played in the Season 3 finale.

Playing it the way we know it shows that the cycle will not repeat itself again.

Right?