Ban on Coffin Coverage at Dover Lifted

Pangloss

The Secretary of Defense has lifted the ban on press coverage of coffins returning to Dover AFB from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6965734&page=1

I think this is the right move because it's more open and above-board, and it also allows for families to continue to opt for privacy if that is their preference. Apparently this is still somewhat controversial and in transition -- some question what would happen if a family is split over the issue, for example. But presumably this could be worked out on a case-by-case basis.

Apparently the decision was widely supported by veterans groups.

What do you all think?

'Bout damn time.

Basically, they're saying it's not the Pentagons place to make the decision, but the familiy's. That works for me. I watched secretary Gates on CSPAN last night, and he made a solid argument. He said his decision was made mostly as a result of a letter sent to him by the army advocating the allowance of the people to see the coffins. He stated, "since the army is losing the most soldiers, their arguments really mattered and helped me decide."

That's all well and good but the bigger point I would think is that it isn't right to deny the press the right to take pictures of whatever the hell they want. I can understand restricting access to certain areas, but I gather here the media couldn't even take pictures if it were possible to capture the images from a thousand miles away.