Hunkin' big dinosaurs

Guest shallowman

Guest shallowman

Hey all you brains out there... I've always found it hard to believe that them big, hunkin' dinos were ever able to move around with them massive bodies -- heck, my friend that weigh a good 250 lbs sweats all over the place and he don't even have any fur or nothin. I've heard guys say that it's because the dinosaurs probably had "light" bones like birds. Yeah, but a pound of meat is a pound of meat and that's a lot of steak covering them bones. I always wondered if Earth's gravity somehow has increased over the ages -- maybe a shower of comets drenched the earth and increased it's mass and gravity. Any thoughts?

SM

the skeletal structure appears to be well structured and balanced for many species so they wouldn't have a problem moving around. however, if it/they fell, that would have been a whole other story.

for instance, on huge predators like gigantosaurus and tyrannosaurus and similar configuration, had very big heads in proportion to their bodies and needed very heavy tail to keep them balanced. hence their semi-useless front limbs(arms), should these have been developed further or longer, it would pose a major problem. ofcourse unlike depicted in jurasik park movies, these huge monsters most likely were not that mobile. also, the skull configuration would problably mean that many of these animals had a hard time seeing things, especially when running, etc.

other very heavy quadrupedal dinasours such as brachiosaurus, tricerotops, etc probably had their weight distributed more evenly, etc.

then for the highly agile and mobile animals such as the velociraptor, they had to use their oversize tail like a whip to help them give them an extra boost when they run, etc.

the general idea is that most dinasaurs used their body to their advantage as much as they could.