Obama Makes Direct Video Appeal to Iran

Pangloss

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKTRE52J0S220090320

Reaching out directly to Iranian leaders and their people, Obama said: "This process will not be advanced by threats. We seek instead engagement that is honest and grounded in mutual respect."

He said the United States wanted Iran to take its "rightful place in the community of nations," but also insisted that Tehran do its part to achieve reconciliation.

I think this is an interesting approach. I think his direct appeal to the American people has been largely successful so far, and a marked change versus the traditional presidential approach of working through the mainstream media. It's useful because it really brings out all the subtle nuances of his message -- he can say EXACTLY what he wants to say and not have to worry about how the media filter might change the message.

I don't know that this will do a lot of good, but it is interesting and could be just what we need. What do you all think?

Dutch newspapers were all positive this morning about Obama's message. It's said that the Iranian government welcomes the latest message.

Obama also wished Iranians a happy Nowruz, which is the Iranian New Year (beginning of spring). I think that such simple forms of politeness really make a big impact.

Behaving, using simple manners and being polite even to ones rivals is an excellent example to the entire world. :D

And it doesn't necassarily mean that Obama is a softie. You can be very hard, yet polite.

Dutch newspapers about the message from Obama to Iran: link 1, link 2 (both in Dutch). (I know not many will read them, but I prefer to provide a reference when I quote from a newspaper)

Here's a transcript of the message:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123752091165792573.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The essential message is just "For our part, we'd much rather be friends than enemies, just know that it's a two way street." Kind of an obvious sentiment, but something which still should be emphasized more often, and which I'm sure is a much more effective message addressed directly to the people (something which is probably really only possible in the internet age). The subtext, then, is that if there is conflict with the West, that they should be asking hard questions of their own government.

Edited by Sisyphus

Well, I guess he couldn't meet with Ahmadinejad without preconditions there eh? :D

Interesting approach... reaching out directly through the teevee. I recall Bush using the same approach, but to deliver an ultimatum to Iraq.

Even more so, it's a smart strategy. Posting it online like this means that more of the general Iranian populace can watch the actual message. They even have a downloadable version with Persian subtitles on the White House website.

This is much better than the standard "behind closed doors" negotiations with ambassadors and representatives. The people on the ground and in the streets of Iran will see that the US is trying, and will then be able to compare what their own government is actually doing relative to Obama and the US.

It's the "ground up" approach we hear so much about from the administration, tapping into the power of the grass roots movement to achieve changes at the top of the proverbial hierarchy.

Well I sure hope I'm not being naive here, but I really like this. It's respectful without sounding like a lap dog and without the swagger of superpower condescension.

More to the point, he stressed the Iranian (Persian) history of building and civilisation and praised these as virtues. Any idiot can destroy something, but building something requires more. He gently reminded them that they have done far more building than destroying in their history. (Although the Greeks might disagree.)

But I liked it. A clear message delivered in a reasonable and respectful way. I'm not sure of the middle eastern mindset here, but I think it is considered bad manners to be disrespectful of someone who has shown you respect.