How to trap or control a photon?

Tesseract

This thread does not make sense to me.

Can you tell me how you trap a photon?

How do you remove a photon from light?

How do you measure where the photon is?

how do you build the device to measure the photon?

the Heisenberg principale says you cant measure where it is exactly?

How do you keep a photon between mirrors?

Sorry but to me this dosnt make any sense?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread dosnt make any sense' date=' you tell me how you trap a photon???

How do you measure where the photon is???

how do you build the device to measure the photon???[/quote']

Honestly, I don't know the exact method, but it can be done and I'm sure a few people around here could explain it better than I can. Just because you and I can't explain how the devices work doesn't mean they don't exist, nor does it mean they don't work.

How do you remove a photon from light ???

What?

the Heisenberg principale says you cant measure where it is exactly???

Uh...sure. Do a quick google search on that one.

How do you keep the photon between the mirrors???

How is that relevant?

You can separate a photon from light. :rolleyes:

A photn is a The quantum of electromagnetic energy, regarded as a discrete particle having zero mass, no electric charge, and an indefinitely long lifetime.

And light (I assume you know what that is) is comprised of photons.

Now assuming it would be possible to separate a photon from light you couldnt make a device to measure it or a mirror that could contain it, OK.Becasue that is not enough to contain a photon.

Even if it were super astronomically possible to separate a photon and place it in a device wher it is contained and no other light is there you cant measure exactly at what speed it moves and also the exact position so you couldnt keep track of the photon.

Are you sure your not confusing a photon with a proton? :rolleyes:

Now assuming it would be possible to separate a photon from light you couldnt make a device to measure it or a mirror that could contain it, OK.Becasue that is not enough to contain a photon.

Sorry. I'm still not sure what you are saying here and how the fact that you and I don't understand how these devices work pertains to the discussion.

Even if it were super astronomically possible to separate a photon and place it in a device wher it is contained and no other light is there you cant measure exactly at what speed it moves and also the exact position so you couldnt keep track of the photon.

I'm pretty sure this is possible. Also, the speed has no effect on the question. If the conditions remained constant, only the position of the photon would be important. We cannot measure the speed of the photon when it strikes the mirror, but we do know it was traveling at the same speed as before (the exact number isn't important). If it traveled at the same speed, but the mirrors were farther apart, the speed must have increased (again, the exact number isn't important). All we'd need is when the photon left one mirror and struck the other.

Are you sure your not confusing a photon with a proton? :rolleyes:

If I wasn's so tired I'd be insulted. :P

Do you understand that you cannot contain a photon nor separate it from a beam of light???

How would you put a photon in an enclosed area without letting any light go out??? :confused::rolleyes:

How can you be talking about something you dont understand???

Well since capturing a photon isnt possible the experiment is flawed.

Or perhaps the more likely explanation, that he means to say "temporarily contained" rather than captured, would do fine.

Although I'm pretty sure you're wrong, and it is perfectly possible to capture a photon.

I dont see how anyone is able to remove a photon from light, its half wave and half particle.. :confused::rolleyes:

Even if so the experiment wouldnt work, the photon wouldnt stay in the right place, you couldnt even see where it is.You would need a 100% dark space to do this.So that no other photons can enter.And the mirrors would have to be 100% straight as to not bounce the photon somewhere else.How can you measure something thats moving at the speed of light?

I dont see how anyone is able to remove a photon from light. :confused::rolleyes:

Oh dear.

Even if so the experiment wouldnt work, the photon wouldnt stay in the right place, you couldnt even see where it is.You would need a 100% dark space to do this.So that no other photons can enter.

Maybe you could do the bare minimum of research into experiments involving photons, and then it wouldn't be so confusing.

and if we can detect single neutrinos and subatomic particles in bubble chambers, a photon isn`t going to be that difficult as they`re already lit :)

But isnt it the same a the Trapped light as energy resevoir thread.How would you keep a photon contained without it escaping.And dont photons also always move the speed of light.

By Blike:

"When photons are created they are travelling at 300,000km/sec already.

How do we know?

Set yourself back a known distance. Measure the time between when the flashlight is switched on and you see the photon. You can then extrapolate whether or not the photon has always been travelling at c (or at a known speed in a given medium)."

de javu (or however it`s spelled), I seem to rem asking the same think not so long back? :)

photons always move at the speed of light (how can they not?)

it isn`t "trapped" so to speak, it`s just doing what it always does, travel :)

How do you launch it in the direction you want?and how do you know it wont bounce in another direction?I assume that the mirror would have to be completley flat.
well for the large part it`s trial and error based upon calculations and beam spliter callibration (they move within microns!).

there are error margins factored in also, but when you start with a kazillion photons from your laser source you can pretty much gaurantee that you`ll get a steady supply of the ones you can use :)

and yes, keeping your optics clean as well as at a constant temp (avoids distortion) is also key, most of this work is done in evacuated areas to avoid dust contamination.

[edit} thnx for the deja vu thing, I can never remember it!