How to Make a Mouse live Longer?

Aurora Damall

After looking at the Methuselah contest, a contest that tries to improve what we know about increasing longevity by trying to see who can make a mouse live the longest, I was wondering what some people would do to achieve this. So my question is what would your strategy/strategies be to try to win the contest, and make your mouse live the longest?

Breed one from wild stock. Lab and pet mice are famously inbred, which results in shorter lifespan.

For really high-level genetic tinkering, make it an ectotherm. A long-lived mouse can reach up to 4 years old, while a comparably sized lizard can live for 20 years.

Calorie restriction works. But this has already been done.

Other ideas:

Teach them to meditate

Transplant the heart of a similarly sized reptile

Have them live in a cooler environment

Let them drink wine

And the cherry:

Keep transplanting the brain of the "contest mouse" into fresh bodies

Stroke it redularly, massage its back - feed it well and talk to it nicely in a high pitched tone. Keep its cage clean and tidy (possibly consult a feng suei expert about the cage layout). Give it a little excersise once and a while. When I was little - we had a guinie pig that lived for about 10 or 11 years!!! Dumb thing really - I loved it, but every time I tried to get it out of the cage it reacted as if it had never seen me before in its life. You'd think it would have got used to me over the years - but no.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

................................ ...................................

Just looked it up - the world record for a guinie pig was 13 years! Darn - I thought we would have been close. Their normal life expectancy is about 3 or 4 years IIRC.

Hmm... just looked deeper - apparently there was one that made 14! and some places quote 5 to 7 years on average. You can't believe everything you read on the net afterall!

Edited by DrP
Consecutive posts merged.