How to avoid my pepperspray-can from exploding in my pocket?

paranoid

Hello everybody

I live in a city where it's not always as safe as it should be,

therefor I would like to start carrying a small pepperspray can with me at all times.

I am paranoid that that this pressurized can would explode in my pocket.

I am probably neurotic, I can't help it :embarass:

• When I am walking around with the pepperspray in my pocket, the stuff inside the can gets shaken because of the movements of my body.
    Is this not slowly building up pressure till eventually one day the pepperspray will explode?
  • How big is the chance of a pepperspray can exploding in my pocket?
  • Is there any thing I could do to avoid the can exploding in my pocket? (for example spraying the pepperspray can half empty, so the pressure of the can drops "considerably" :confused: )
  • Would it be less damaging to my body if the pepperspray explodes in a small metal container?
    Because if it is, then I could put the pepperspray in a sort of metal box as a "protective case",
    and then put that metal box in my pocket.

For your information,

the country I live in has the same climate as the UK.

I know that high temperature can make pressurized cans explode.

So pepperspray in the car in the summer is dangerous.

I'm curious to your replies.

Thanks very much :)

Edited by paranoid

I would first make sure that it is legal to carry in your country: pepper spray and mace are regulated in some countries.

Next, check the can: it should say something about the temperature range for storing the can (e.g., "keep below 30oC"). If you keep the can under that temperature, you should be fine.

Also a good idea to have a training course regarding how to use the stuff. A bit of instruction and practice helps you to avoid spraying yourself in the face by accident :eek:

lots of people carry these things around - never heard much hoopla about them exploding while someone was carrying them. I would think that would get a lot of press if it happened more than a couple of times.

I live in a safe and friendly part of the world, so I never had a pepperspray, but I'm assuming that some propellant (check the part under aerosol spray) is used like in a deodorant can.

Shaking a can (or a bottle of e.g. cola) might cause an increase in the pressure locally in the liquid, which in turn can influence the equilibrium between gas and liquid.

This will not exceed a certain maximum level. The can is certainly designed to withstand the max. pressure.

If you leave the can for a while, (if the pressure went up at all), the pressure will reduce again.

The pressure will not build up until it blows up. Same with cola: shaking might increase the pressure, but it's totally impossible to make the bottle explode. (In fact, I believe that it just reaches equilibrium faster, and the pressure is not higher than a certain maximum level which you would also reach with enough time).

The pressure, on average, will remain constant, at its equilibrium value... which is the vapor pressure of the solvent (often butane or propane or something like that). This vapor pressure is only temperature dependent, and absolutely not "shake-dependent".