Reopening the Superconducting Super Collider project

Should the SSC Project be Finished?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the SSC Project be Finished?

• I strongly agree the SSC should be finished!!!
    • I somewhat aggree the SSC should be finished!
    • I have no idea here...
    • I somewhat disagree that th SSC should be finished!
    • I strongly disagree that the SSC should be finsished!!!

Just recently, I became very interested in the SSC. After looking at some of the plans and details, I couldn't help but wonder why the project has not been reopened...

I was thinking of possibly either:

1) Getting a nation wide petition signed to reopen construction of the SSC, or

2) Work as hard as possible in possibly finding quite a number of investors, so I could privately reopen the construction and then staff the place once it is built.

I figure that the plans would have to be redrawn, however, because times have changed, and the SSC could use quite a number of improvements... Anyway, i wanted to know what you had to say about the idea. Maybe I overlooked a reason why it wasn't built, other than money. The way I see it, the most valuable thing the US could have is its science. Anyway, I want your feedback, concerns, ideas...

PS: I'm having trouble finding a amount to shoot for, money wise, as well as how long it would take to finish. There is very little data out there on the SSC's old project specs, so if anyone has any ideas on those as well, I would love to hear them!:)

PPS: I am aware of the CERN LHC, and i am also aware that the SSC was supposed to be nearly 4 times as large.

I find it extremely hard to answer your question because you say that you are aware that a very comparable machine exists and is about to start running soon but yet do not mention what you expect from SSC.

it would be better to wait till we get results from the LHC before any workis done so we can see what we need to aim for to further investigate phenomena. to come up with a design now would be shooting in the dark perhaps wasting billions at a time when nobody can afford to waste anything.

it should also be made into an international effort rather than just the US.