Mysterious Windows Problem

Cap'n Refsmmat

Lately I have had a very mysterious windows problem. I run Windows XP.

The thing is, I noticed some Mail Delivery Subsistem messages saying that my messages could not be delivered. I never sent the messages, so I ran a check with Ad-Aware 6. It stopped right at System 32 and was not responding. I hit Ctr Alt Delete, but that opened up a screwed up window (tell me how to attach the picture I took of it!!!! It says it exceeds my quota) which only showed the processes, not the running programs. I couldn't close it, so I had to shut down the computer.

I now was very suspicious. I did a check with Spybot- Search and Destroy, but that didn't work either, since it stopped in the middle (I'm not sure in what folder). So I ran Norton AntiVirus, and it stopped right in System 32 just like the others. (I took a screen shot, fortunately I could attach it). It still was responding, however, so I managed to quit out of it.

Finally, the task manager is still screwed up, and I can't find the problem.

Anyone help me? (and can someone let me attach the other screen shot?)

(screenie deleted as I needed the attachment space, and the problem was resolved)

My assumption is that something bad is going to happen, so if it were me I'd back up my documents, configs (such as .ini files associated with the settings of software I use a lot - WS_FTP folders, DreamWeaver sites, Command & Conquer preferences etc), bookmarks and so on, then reinstall.

Assuming I couldn't fix the problem of course. If it is an ubernasty, there's a good chance it disabled part of Norton when it first ran. Try suspending Norton and using a fresh install of a different A/V.

do you have any antivirus? try figuring out what the spyware or trojan is called, then you can try downloading a remover from norton (for free by the way). They usually help.

By the way, try and find a process that works in the background and might be the naughty worm.

And about backups--- with our world, and the way comps are being hacked/cracked and molested so much, I'd suggest doing that regularly - fear of a virus or not ;)

~moo

I checked the Symantec website and found a virus matching my description, so I followed their instructions by booting in safe mode and then running a scan. After withstanding two hours of 60 hertz (only) torture it found a virus in System 32, and fixed it. I'm fine now, except that Task Manager is still messed up.

Oh well.

I checked the Symantec website and found a virus matching my description' date=' so I followed their instructions by booting in safe mode and then running a scan. After withstanding two hours of 60 hertz (only) torture it found a virus in System 32, and fixed it. I'm fine now, except that Task Manager is still messed up.

Oh well.[/quote']

I have three things to say:

1.For your taskmanager you clicked the window twice probably, if you doubleclick your taskmanager window again it will go back to normal.Dont click on the white part do it on the gray area around the processes.

2.Your names Brian i guess?

3.What is that wallpaper you have and where can I get it?

:P