water drops

devrimci_kürt

• 2 weeks later...

basically it the height of the drop depend on how the stone has hit the water surface ..... like if surface area in contact with water surface is more then there will be more droplets and more height ... then other factor like speed size decide to increase the height more

i think the water droplets take a height due to the third law of motion i.e "every action has equal and opp reaction" . and due to the energy of stone it give a shock , in which give droplets (in stage of formation ) huge amount of energy (compare with there volume) and then with that energy they are released from the surface, hence formation of drops and gaining of height . other reason is due to the sudden change in the volume ( system).......................

My sense is that it has to do with the surface tension of the water.

The downward energy of the dropping object pushes the water outward from the locus of the impact site, but that outward force is soon restrained by the surface tension of the water, and it essentially "bounces" back toward the center due to the pull of that tension. When the water arrives back toward the impact site, it does so from all angles of the circle/wave, and hits against itself when arriving again at the impact locus. At that time, it again "bounces" due to the collision force, but much of the energy goes upward (instead of just outward) since the energy is so concentrated in such a small space.

Maximum height would be a function of how the object size and velocity relates to the strength of the surface tension, but both speed and size of the impacting object are relevant to the question (as are its overall rigidity and other similar features).

Someone please correct me if they see any inaccuracies in the description above.

Edited by iNow