Which Linux distro is the best?

albertlee

Although I can install BSD, but FreeBSD does not support my Sitecom Wl-100b wireless PC card...............

Any way, I dont really have to use Mandrake, right? :)

I am going to try out slackware......

Albert

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've said this before... in fact I know I have:

If you want support with Linux, particularly getting a certain piece of hardware to work with a certain Linux build, you need to use the correct support facilities.

No Linux or Unix package will support all of your hardware out of the box, but every package has support communities that are packed with people who can help you.

You're more likely to get help by asking the same questions in a Linux community than you are by asking here.

There are only a handful of Linux users here, and the ones who can answer your questions probably don't have the time to teach you how to use a new operating system.

Most likely you will be able to get by with any build of Linux by identifying problems and getting the correct help as you go - there's always a post from someone who's had exactly the same problem knocking around somewhere on Linux forums.

No Linux or Unix package will support all of your hardware out of the box, but every package has support communities that are packed with people who can help you.

I suppose that depends on whether you're lucky enough to have chipsets that can be detected by Linux. I compiled genkernel (the auto-detection version of gentoo's 2.4 kernel), which detected every piece of hardware on my PC without a problem.

PCMCIA cards seem to be a less-supported area of Linux, but as you say, there's a load of people that have probably encountered the same problems. There's a lot of free support out there if you can be bothered to find it.

Mandrake had no probs with my PC - I made the mistake of swapping out the ethernet card last week though... :-(

PCMCIA cards aren't exactly a ubiquitous, high-priority piece of kit for a Linux install. It comes as no surprise that it isn't detected by default.