Help Identify This Mystery Crab!

pillar93

We were outside of school one day, & we found this crab. Can you please help us identify it?

FYI:

~It was dead, with the insides hallow.

~We are not near any bodies of water.

~Found in Littlestown, PA (South Central PA)

mayy4o.jpg

Edited by pillar93

it does indeed appear to be a pebblecrab.

many things eat crabs including birds which lift them up and drop em to get at they yumminess(to them) contained within.

doing a bit of google earthin there are three bodies of water reasonably close. one by mcsherrystown/hanover and the other over by gettysburg. and another a raubenstine.

it could have came from either of those, carried either by an animal or a human. heck, there's even a chance it walked there.

just ecause its hollowed out doesn't mean its a hoax, just means its been dead a while and its insides have rotted/been eaten.

crabs aren't solid shells you know.

I am quite familiar with crabs, i live by the ocean and catch and eat them regularly. If that crab was hollow it would have come apart quite quickly unless it had been dried out to be preserved. Then the is the whole Australia problem, PA is a little too far away for the crab to have walked..... I still say human intervention of some kind resulted in that crab being where it was.

i've found a few crab remenants in similar condition that were obviously left there by animals(teeth/claw marks ).

i'm curious as to why you said hoax?

More than one reason to be sure, if it had been left by an animal it would have been unlikely in the extreme to be in one piece. Predators and scavengers have to dis-articulate a crab to eat it. A rotting crab under normal conditions falls apart quite quickly. The area the crab was found is very far from the ocean, the crab is not an amphibious species, this crab Persephona mediterranea is not found any where even close to Littlestown Pa. It often thrown up by storms On the beaches of the south east coast of the USA where i live. There is no way for this crab to have been found where it was by natural causes. Human intervention is necessary for it to be where it was found.

More than one reason to be sure, if it had been left by an animal it would have been unlikely in the extreme to be in one piece. Predators and scavengers have to dis-articulate a crab to eat it. A rotting crab under normal conditions falls apart quite quickly. The area the crab was found is very far from the ocean, the crab is not an amphibious species, this crab Persephona mediterranea is not found any where even close to Littlestown Pa. It often thrown up by storms On the beaches of the south east coast of the USA where i live. There is no way for this crab to have been found where it was by natural causes. Human intervention is necessary for it to be where it was found.

If this is a hoax; what is your opinion on the crab then.

• 2 weeks later...