Numbness in my legs. What is the cause?

scilearner

Ok when staying in the same posture for a long time I feel numbness in my legs. I can understand how veins would find it difficult to travel up when I'm not using my muscles that much. My question is but if arteries are working well wouldn't my leg and nerve get good blood supply. Isn't arteries the main thing here. Where have I gone wrong. If veins have reduced flow does that affect the arteries as well.

Thanks!! :)

EDIT: When I re read my post it seems like I'm having a numbness problem and seeking medical advice. I don't have a numbness problem I'm rather interested in how it occurs. Thanks!!

Edited by scilearner

• 2 weeks later...

actual compression of the sciatic nerve is my vote, not involving circulation...at least that will give you something to look on mdweb or something, hope you get better!

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

also if the knee isn't bent to relieve pressure I've read that popliteal nerve compression causes similar issues...the popliteal is still a branch off the sciatic so it may be the s in either situation is just a guess but I noticed you had no responses....

Muscles in the region will assist the flow of blood.

Notice that patients that are in a hospital for a long period are given air bags that strap on to their legs. They inflate and deflate.

This simulates muscle contractions and helps blood flow!

To avoid the numbness/circulation issue you could raise up on your toes and back down.

This will help your calf muscle contract and move blood.

To work the upper legs you can squat down and stand up to work the upper areas.

This is important for people who are flying on planes for long periods of time!!!!!!!

Edited by greenprogrammin