Contemporary Science

JaredArkis

Hello,

I am new to these forums, but came to ask a question to those who might know:

I am an undergraduate philosophy major with minors in mathematics and history of science. I want to pursue a degree in HPS, emphasis on the PS. I have had the hardest time finding out what contemporary philosophy of science is. I'm not talking about last century, but the last couple of years. I have looked up journals, but don't know which ones are still active, nor which ones are looked to by philosophers of science themselves. There are so many journals... so many articles... can anyone help me figure out how to get into contemporary philosophy of science?

Hello,

I am new to these forums, but came to ask a question to those who might know:

I am an undergraduate philosophy major with minors in mathematics and history of science. I want to pursue a degree in HPS, emphasis on the PS. I have had the hardest time finding out what contemporary philosophy of science is. I'm not talking about last century, but the last couple of years. I have looked up journals, but don't know which ones are still active, nor which ones are looked to by philosophers of science themselves. There are so many journals... so many articles... can anyone help me figure out how to get into contemporary philosophy of science?

REPLY: The history of science is straightforward enough, at least as to recorded history. It seems to me there is a real problem when one tries in any way to integrate the two. Because science seems to me to be based on provable facts whereas philosophy is not so rigidly bound to provable facts. I feel there is a real need for ways of integrating the two. In particular when it comes to the ethics of many scientific endeavors. Those are my thoughts on this issue for what they are worth. Sincerely, ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax
wording

I took a philosophy of science class as an undergraduate. We used the book Scientific Inquiry edited by Robert Kee. It is a collection of many of the classical and contemporary essays and articles on philosophy of science. I don't know the field beyond that one class I took, but it seemed like a pretty good introduction to the subject to me.