The automatic (or even manual) merging of posts

Here (http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=528868#post528868) I was responding (with quote being employed) to 2 different people and my post was merged. This was confusing to me, and maybe to the posters themselves.

Can you discontinue this practice?

Thanks in advance.

Nope. It serves a purpose. If you don't like the divider, however, you can remove it as it is just an inserted bit of BBcode. Just edit the post to remove it.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged renders as:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged Edited by ydoaPs

Here (http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=528868#post528868) I was responding (with quote being employed) to 2 different people and my post was merged. This was confusing to me, and maybe to the posters themselves.

Can you discontinue this practice?

Thanks in advance.

Oooh, I hope they don't. I rather like it, and if you are responding to two or more different people, use the muli-quote button next to the quote button. Click on the buttons in the order you're addressing them, as many as you want, and then hit reply at the end. Then it looks like this:

Nope. It serves a purpose. If you don't like the divider, however, you can remove it as it is just an inserted bit of BBcode. Just edit the post to remove it.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged renders as:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Exactly.

It makes threads shorter and makes vB have to render fewer posts.

Why do you(someone with 6 posts, no less) think we should discontinue this feature?

He was cranky because he thought he was being ridiculed, and when he found out it wasn't true, he took a swing at vB.

One reason for it is for combatting post-whores.
The +5 Compression Hammer vs Post Whores, to RPG fans. And it's combating, with one t, no mater how sily it loks.

Though I usually like the post merging feature, there are occasions where I want my posts to remain separate. I don't care about post count nor whatever. It would be nice to have an option to keep the posts separate.

Add an attachment to the first of the two posts. Viola.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I see it, but I don't appreciate it or see the need for it. Thanks for your quick reply.

When a friend invites you over to their house for dinner, is the first thing you say to them when you arrive, "I see you have a coat rack here, but I really don't like it. Can you kindly remove it? Thanks for your quick action." :rolleyes:

The +5 Compression Hammer vs Post Whores, to RPG fans. And it's combating, with one t, no mater how sily it loks.

Thank you for complying with Skitt's law (I'm sure it was intentional, though)

Spelling it with two "t's" removes the compulsion to use multiple exclamation points. My dictionary gives both variants (also, my spell-checker didn't complain)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/combatting

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

As far as manual merging, sometimes that's necessary, too. Like when someone makes a duplicate thread, and people reply to both.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Add an attachment to the first of the two posts. Viola.

Does the attachment have to be a picture of a viola? Can you substitute another stringed instrument?

For the general population of person on the Internet whom using varying forums, I believe the automatic merging is more positive than negative. Although the thread creator's argument is understood, I believe there it benefits Internet communities to keep the merging feature.

As a note, please keep in mind that people have found ways to adjust their rhetoric to such a feature.

1:

@User

The @ sign tends to let people know that someone specific is being spoken to.

2:

A quotation.

This can be less reliable, but sometimes people will include quotes from different users in one post to respond to multiple users.

@anomalies

Most people who dislike the merging feature or want their message to get to the right audience will use the first option.

It is often unlikely to find an @ sign in varying levels of communication. As such, it has become a marker to notify people that someone specific is being spoken to.

I'm glad we've had this discussion. Internet communication continues to develop as we know it.

Edited by Genecks

• 2 weeks later...

It

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged is

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged rather

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged ugly

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged and

Merged post follows: