Disappearing lines in Chaos graph

LAGoff

I saw a graph in a book on Chaos theory and it showed in the first third of the graph, lines moving horizontally; then there was a break in the second third where the lines disappeared; then in the third part of the graph, the lines reappeared. Can you tell me what this is called; even better, can you show me a picture of it; even better, can you tell me more about it?

Does this have anything to do with the glycerine/ink experiment where the ink disappears in the glycerine and then when turned the other way, it reappears again?

Thank you.

I found the pictures. It's called a bifurcation diagram. It is associated with a Mr. May. I saw it on pg.78 of Chaos by Gleick.

for pictures go here: http://25yearsofprogramming.com/images/wbif/index.htm

Can anyone give me more feedback on this?

As an aside, I wonder about these bifurcation diagram pictures and the Bible's portrayal of the cosmos being formed out of chaos.

Do you see any application of these pictures to that?

p.s. I am not a mathematician/scientist,etc.

I just saw these pictures and wondered what's going on that you would have something, then it would [almost] dissapear, then it would return again, and perhaps if I could incorporate these diagrams(or perhaps the glycerine and ink disapearing/reapearing experiment) into the portrayal of forming a cosmos out of chaos in the first chapter of Genesis.

Or perhaps this is just a diagram and has only limited application?