Skywatcher 150

Guest papap

I have been offered second hand skywatcher 150 with 6"refractor,could anyone let me know if this would be a suitable purchase & how much you would expect to pay for one,there are no extras,up until now i have only dabbled with a £100 tasco so i am very green,any help would be much appreciated.:rolleyes:

I don't know much about skywatchers, or even refractor telescopes. How much is it being offered for? I couldn't find anything about the 150 model that was in english.

Do you specifically want a refractor? Have you looked into any reflector scopes? I have a meade 6" reflector scope that has served me quite well, it was reasonably affordable too.

What do you plan on using the scope for? Casual observing? Astrophotography?

[also, what does the expression "i'm very green" mean? help us non-european folks out :)]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by papap

I have been offered second hand skywatcher 150 with 6"refractor,could anyone let me know if this would be a suitable purchase & how much you would expect to pay for one,there are no extras,up until now i have only dabbled with a £100 tasco so i am very green,any help would be much appreciated.:rolleyes:

Well--a 6" (actually 5.9) scope with EXCELLENT mirrors and a less than 20% center secondary obtrussion will get you about 40 X per inch under great skies. Fine for close objects...but not enuff aperture to gain you a lot of color detail.

If it is in MINT condition (remember tasco = crap) with eye pieces (probably ertle's, but hopefully Plossl) with a good mount (German?) I would pay perhaps $200.00. BUT NO more. I believe these are Canadian? As a member of the Canadian Royal Society, we have them sponsor some of our activities. They are (in my opinion) better than meade of the same size, but probably not quite up to Orion specs. Make sure the primary is Pyrex.

Bill

PS: I have owned 29 scopes from 50mm apo's to .8 meter SCT. I know scopes (probably not much else). Let me know how you make out.