Hello, Question regarding Scientific Law history

mike1234

I understand the difference between law and theory and why theories do not become laws.

I was just curious about laws and the various stages that are included in becoming a law. What is the history of Scientific law and do we still get new laws? What are the stages of becoming a law?

Thanks.

I understand the difference between law and theory and why theories do not become laws.

Do you? In some cases it is just a matter of semantics. For example, Newton's law of gravity versus Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Scientific laws are specific and simple. Theories are broader and more complex. For example, Newton's Principia represents a scientific theory that embodies several laws.

Scientific laws can be, and often are, purely empirical explanations of a specific phenomenon. A good example is Planck's law, the development of which preceded quantum mechanics and statistical physics. (In fact, Planck's law is often seen as the start of quantum mechanics and statistical physics.) After the fact, Planck's law can be derived from the deeper knowledge embodied by quantum mechanics and statistical physics.

Scientific laws are simple and are embodied in a small number (preferrably one) equation. Scientific theories typically represent larger bodies of knowledge and typically cannot be written in the form of a single equation. Scientific theories explains scientific laws. The theory of evolution encompasses multiple concepts. So do quantum mechanics and statistical physics.

The difference between scientific law and theory remains to some extent a matter of semantics. For example, general relativity is described by Einstein's field equations, which can be written in a single line. The reason general relativity is called a theory rather than a law is that Einstein derived his field equations. The field equations followed the development of general relativity rather than preceded it.

The difference between scientific law and theory remains to some extent a matter of semantics.

I think this is usually the case. I don't think there is any clear divide between a law and a theory.

Both are a mathematical description of nature.