Gravity, distance, speed!!!!

saf

Why does it take longer to orbit the sun the further a planet is form the sun???

Does pluto travel at a slower pace than Earth, if yes why??

Does the further you are from gravity (the sun) mean the slower you travel? if yes why??

thanks BTW i am in high school so please don't give me an information OVERLOAD!! Although i would like detail!!!

HW VERY URGENT!!

Thanks!

When you're closer to the Sun, the Sun's gravitational influence is very large. You have to move very fast to avoid being "sucked" in.

When you're very far away, its influence is smaller. If you go fast, you'll just go flying off into deep space instead of staying in orbit.

Make sense?

(If you're doing this for a physics course, you've probably learned Kepler's laws or Newton's laws of gravity, and you should try to use them to explain this.)

Why does it take longer to orbit the sun the further a planet is form the sun???

The further the distance a planet is from the sun, the weaker the combined effects of the two masses. the sun and the planet become, their combined "gravitational force" is smaller.

If the gravitational force is weaker, the velocity of the planet in its orbit is slower. There fore it takes a longer period of time for the planet to orbit the sun .

"Does pluto travel at a slower pace than Earth, if yes why??

Yes, because pluto is much further from the sun than the earth.

"Does the further you are from gravity (the sun) mean the slower you travel? if yes why??

Your question cannot be answered as you asked it.

You are not further from gravity.. Gravity is always present. However, the magnitude of the gravitational force decrease as the planet moves further and further away from the sun.

thanks BTW i am in high school so please don't give me an information OVERLOAD!! Although i would like detail!!!

HW VERY URGENT!!

Thanks!

Does the circumference get larger or smaller as the radius increases?

C, the circumference or a circle, is equal to Pi, R squared ..

My computer does not have the symbol for Pi ..

So. I'll write it out. C = Pi x r squared ..

So if the radius r becomes bigger? The circumference becomes bigger as well ..

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
i don't know what you mean but i'll give an example..

Does pluto orbit the sun at a slower pace than earth? If yes why?

I believe I answered that question above.

However I'll add another piece .. The Gravitational force between the two masses, the sun and the planet is F, for force.

M is equal to the mass of the planet.

R is the distance of the planet from the sun ..

V =the velocity of the planet around the sun.

the formula for Centrpital force is F = M V squared/ R

So as R gets larger, V becomes smaller.

So pluto which is the outermost planet , has a larger large r, and it moves the slowest, with a smaller V.

C, the circumference or a circle, is equal to Pi, R squared ..

My computer does not have the symbol for Pi ..

So. I'll write it out. C = Pi x r squared ..

So if the radius r becomes bigger? The circumference becomes bigger as well ..

check this again. And you can write out pi on this forum using the math tags: [_math_]\pi[_/math_] = [math]\pi[/math]. Just remove the _'s (hover over the pi symbol to see the LaTeX code needed to generate it.)

check this again. And you can write out pi on this forum using the math tags: [_math_]\pi[_/math_] = [math]\pi[/math]. Just remove the _'s (hover over the pi symbol to see the LaTeX code needed to generate it.)

[math]\pi[/math]

noparse ftw!

Thank you I appreciate the assist in the Pi notation..

I'm using it down below.

However I thought you were going to correct.. my blatant, obvious error ..

C = 2[math]\pi[/math]r Which is the correct formula for the circumference of a circle.

I earlier stated that C = [math]\pi[/math]r squared. Wrong!!

Of course, that is incorrect. I should have indicated that is the formula for the area, not the circumference.

As in A = [math]\pi[/math]r squared

I hope I didn't get that person into difficulty with the teacher, with that wrong information .