To Rebel or to Conform?

NavajoEverclear

I swear this isn't a thread spinoff, cuz i think remember reading in the disclosure that those were illegal or something, it's just a focus for a new thread, spawned from a sidetrack on another thread

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1044&page=2&pp=20

Read replies 24-28, if you want, but at least 27 and 28, since thats the main question.

Which ever approach one were to take, we'd need to be more proactive than a handful of complainers expecting that things will magically fix themselves if we simply speak up.

But which road to take to improve (or completely change) the system? Buckle down and work with the system, until we gain enough power to make some dramatic changes----- or completely refuse to participate in the flawed system.

There are most certainly some very awesome individuals who make the education system not total bullshit. But they are few. If refusing to play the established sytem, i would invite these few to also come, they surely have great knowledge that can be used. --- so just so you know i'm not saying trash the system and everyone in it--- we can use components of it to build the new system.

Or should i compromise my intellectual beliefs for a time until i get enough credentials to propose changes gradually by the accepted methods? While this second option sounds reasonable, there seems to be some kind of conflict with my conscience that i cant precisely put my finger on. It's like a little annoying voice i know is saying something important, but i cant tell what.

Should i just ignore it and work harder in a system dont really believe in, in hopes that i can one day conquer it?

Or can anyone help me figure what the litttle voice is saying, and why, and what should i do about it?

Thats the issue, now give me some useful insight or i'll send you to a personal room with a moose!

"Rebelling" in this context is only going to damage one thing: your education.

I'd suggest you avoid wasting your time with protests or whatever, which aren't realistically going to change anything (in your school/college, never mind nationally), when you could be in the library teaching yourself the things you want to learn.

Throwing a spanner in the works just for the sake of it is a waste of everybody's time.

I'd suggest you avoid wasting your time with protests or whatever, which aren't realistically going to change anything (in your school/college, never mind nationally), when you could be in the library teaching yourself the things you want to learn.

Ineteresting, but I've found that the mindless work assigned in school takes too much time to be able to do the above. When you skip the work and go learn something on your own, you get in trouble. When you do the work, you learn less. :-(

surely you`re provided with a learning timetable (sylabus) and so any effort you spend in your free time researching these items can`t be wasted, and you`de certainly not get in trouble for showing initiative!?

or have things changed since I was in fulltime education?

Ineteresting, but I've found that the mindless work assigned in school takes too much time to be able to do the above. When you skip the work and go learn something on your own, you get in trouble. When you do the work, you learn less. :-(

The mindless, pointless work you do in school has one function: To get you the credit you need to position yourself well later on.

At that level it's better to study the things you want to study on your own time, because as crappy as the majority of schoolwork gets, the bottom line is that you need the marks if you want to do well later on.

or have things changed since I was in fulltime education?

I think Navajo is in the USA, but for the UK they're trying to run schools like businesses now, as the universities do. That's obviously doomed to failure (or rather it will mortgage off students' futue in favour of "the system"). Oh - also, the modern UK school system is a joke in terms of syllabus and testing requirements.

Oh - also, the modern UK school system is a joke in terms of syllabus and testing requirements.
yeah, I noticed :((

I went on an "Access course" a few years ago, not for any reason, other than to brush up on a few old skills to prevent rust in the grey matter. I passed my Chem `A` level with little effort with a 100% score as did another girl in my class, the ones that failed were given the answers shortly afterwards (2 weeks) and made to resit the SAME exam (word for word) again a week later. needless to say they all passed, sure, we had our unbeaten 100%, but we both felt robbed!

"the school system is a joke" is yet another example of British understatement :((

Hey-ours is too! I know most of the material already, and the teachers hardly teach. (especially my Language Arts teacher.... rrgh!) The classes are unbearably boring, and then they complain because kids don't do well. The teaching is the problem.

What I would give to be home schooled....