Triple major then PhD and MBA and is the choice of college important ?

sankaet

Hello, I am currently majoring in computer engineering, Mathematical Sciences and Physics from University of Memphis.

Though its an average University, I am pretty comfortable here and my current GPA is 3.70.

Well I plan to do my masters in Computer engineering and then PhD after that.

University of Memphis offers a 3 year integrated program for MS + PhD. I feel comfortable here , so should I continue My Masters from my current university only? or should I aim for a better institution? If I am good at something, wont I be successful based on my skills than based on a university?

And My another question is , If I plan to do MBA along with my MS and Phd, Will it be of any good?

Why did you bother to triple major? Why not have done at least a double major and then a focus in graduate school? I don't quite understand you've been attempting to achieve.

Edited by Genecks

Its just , that I feel as an engineer I should be aware of the whole physics and math involved and I like physics and math along with my engineering content too, it makes me understand things better and gives me confidence too

I understand what you are saying.

It's a good idea to be well-rounded.

Personally, I would have attempted multiple graduate degrees, as people tend to get paid in sciences when attempting to go for graduate degrees. Unless you've been getting free or very affordable education, that is something you might want to think about. Maybe you've got something there, though. It might be difficult for a mathematics major to move right into an engineering graduate program.

I think in terms of programs, if you can get paid to do the program and the school gives you better funds/resources in order to conduct research for your graduate degree, then you'd want to choose that school.

That's just one way.

Success revolves around you getting a job, despite if it's not doing what you want.

But in terms of temporary success, if you can get a graduate degree and be paid while getting it, that's a good option.

You need to think about options. And that's an option.

Me? I'm into learning, cognition, and cellular biology and physiology.

I want a program that revolves around those things.

That's what I want.

What kind of program and professors do you want to surround yourself with?

So If they can grant me a fellowship then I should stick with University of Memphis? I can still be pretty successful right ?

I imagine it's somewhat dependent upon your industry but at least in mine... Five years after you graduate, not only does nobody care what school you went to, they don't even care what degree you received. At that point, it's "what have you done lately." They know your work. They know what you can do. Whether you went to MIT or the school of Hard Knocks, they know what you're capable of and treat you accordingly.

@Genecks

I want to go in ICs or Robotics, and professors doing some research work in this around me would obviously help a lot

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

@InigoMontoya

okay , so in short , If I am good, I am gonna be successful anyways, I just need to have a good hang of things that i wanna work on?

okay , so in short , If I am good, I am gonna be successful anyways, I just need to have a good hang of things that i wanna work on?

In my experience... Yeah, that about sums it up. If you're enthusiastic about your field and have a good head on your shoulders, you'll excel. A PhD or uber high grade point will give you a higher starting salary, but as I said, after a few years you'll end up in the same place (be it good or bad).

If you want to go into the private sector in computer engineering, a PhD is usually not that useful. Getting into a company as soon as possible usually sets you onto a better trajectory for a further career.

From what you have written real life job experience would be more beneficial.

But I read in survey report and all that a PhD degree always helps you fetch more money, you can get jobs in R n Ds or good research firms, and i even read that physics majors are mostly chosen as the team head n all, so i decided to get a good hang of physics and math too , and for some later use, if I could ever be so brilliant and end up at the front end of a company, then MBA will help me with it,

:( is it too much thought?

Sounds like you should have went to Ohio State and gone for Engineering Physics with a concentration in Electrical and Computer Engineering, which is what I am doing.

I wanted the same approach. I was initially thinking Electrical Engineering, but really liked physics and wanted to understand why things work and not just how things worked. Its been really good, but as stated before, if you are good at what you do, you should get far. I would still see what other colleges offer you, and what it would take to get into one of your liking.