Favorite Vacation Spot!

Cap'n Refsmmat

What is your favorite place to go on vacation?

I prefer Sanibel Island, Florida, which is right off of Fort Myers. The best part is that there's no fast food restaurants, no neon signs, and no chain restaurants (except for a Dairy Queen that squirted through). Everything else is native to the island, and they have the best food. Plus there's great shelling (I found a 1-foot + LIVE shell!) and sunsets...

What are yours?

Makes it look ugly. Now, without them, it has a nice, old style type look.

Ever seen Myrtle Beach? On one road, on the OUTSKIRTS of the city, we saw about 10 EACH of 3 or 4 types of beach stores. Sanibel, however, looks nice and has great food, good little shops, and so on without the gigantic superstores that really make it look bad.

Keep in mind this is a very small island.

My resort would be Valmorel in the French Alps. It's a traditional village, blended with modern art and contemporary construction techniques that earn it a place as one of the top beauty spots in Europe.

During the winter months if you get up at 5am, before anyone else is even awake, and trek out to a secluded valley you can see a 200ft frozen waterfall. As the sun rises, the light is reflected along the snow by the shape of the valley and hits the waterfall from all angles creating one of the most incredible sights your ever likely to see. The waterfall appears to be made of diamonds as water start to drip off from the heat of the sunrise, sparkles like tiny falling stars appear when the drops fall to the ground. Then it's a three hour ski down wide flat pistes, where you can get speed up to 60/70 Kph with little effort. It wakes you up, with a gentle start to the day, and a chalet at the base sells fantastic hot chocolate to set you up for the next run. It's 8am by that time, and there is still no other soul on the slopes for another hour.

http://www.valmorel.com

I'm not sure there is anywhere else on the planet that can match that experience.

I like Sannibel too - but I like Captiva even better. We took our motor home there for the millineum new year. Those sunsets over the Gulf are spectacular.

However, the best vacation I ever had was when we chartered a boat for a week in the British Virgin Islands. We cruised the islands, fished the pilin's and drank our green label each day.

http://www.islandsonline.com/

I'm going to Suffolk, England at the end of September. My mom was a Brit, but I've never been there, so I am really looking forward to it.