So I found some labs... but there's a problem

Genecks

Background: I'm trying to get into a research lab. I'm an undergraduate.

In general, I made the stupid stunt of jumping the gun too early.

I recently told a professor I would be really interested in joining her lab.

She suggested that as a neuroscience student that I look into some neighboring professors' labs.

Nonetheless, I told her that I'm still interested.

That doesn't necessary mean I have commit myself to the lab.

Here's the professor and her lab:

http://tigger.uic.edu/~jwiley/eyelab.html

And here is the lab of a person she told me to look into:

http://ccm.psych.uic.edu/People/Investigators/ragozzino.aspx

I've seen that last person's picture around various parts of the university's website.

In general, I'm more interested in learning in terms of biochemical processes.

The last professor is actively doing that.

The first professor appears to be working with cognition and observation of learning processes. It does not appear that she is actively attempting to observe changing levels of neurochemicals.

The second professors appears to be observing changing levels of neurochemicals.

Truthfully, I didn't know some of these chemical-basis learning people were around UIC. I kept asking my ^&%$$#@@# neuroscience advisor if he could give me advice as to various labs to look for. He didn't really give me much help, which was really annoying. He also didn't help me figure out a certain class I need for graduation was offered in the fall. Taking it in the fall would help me graduate faster and easier; and it prevents time slot conflicts from occurring in the spring. .... *is irritated*

I seriously dislike not being able to rely on advisors to help save time and get good advice.

Oh well.

Anyway, I think I jumped the gun too early.

I have an appointment set for next week to talk to the first professor, and about me possibly joining her lab.

Technically, I could see good aspects to joining her lab. I could get a better background in cognition rather than hoping that certain biochemical processes actually do turn out some results. But then with the second professor, I would actually get some research related to the biochemical basis of learning, which is what I originally came to this university to do.

Any ideas?

Any ideas as to disarming this meeting I'm having with the professor about joining her lab? Any ideas as to how I can put it off or delay it?

Yeah, I shot myself this time like an idiot.

Hopefully some of you have some ideas.

Be frank and do not waste her time.

Alright, I will keep that in mind.

I guess the next thing I should move on is finding the other professors and asking them if they have opening. I'll see how fact I can accomplish that. At best I'll be able to cancel the meeting 48 hours before it occurs if necessary.

I probably jumped the gun because of how I've psychologically gone through the process of getting a job in my last town. A person basically had to accept any job that was given to him/her and learn to accept it. I HATED that process.

I've been told that at least one year of research with anyone is a good thing. I'm not saying that this research project is bad, because it's been given a lot of funding. In general, if I'm put in something like social learning, though, I'm going to have to turn that down. It's one of the active projects she's doing; and I'm definitely not interested in social cognition.

Also, it seems like there is the option to join her lab in the summer.

Would it be bad to join in the summer, be in it for a while, and then decide whether or not after the summer I want to stay or leave?

I'm not sure if some of these people are actively hiring, so I'll keep the appointment.

It's better than nothing, I believe.

Edited by Genecks

Genecks,

I read a quote in a trashy newspaper which actually had some merit. It was from a retiring T.V. producer who said that when you do a job you love, you never have to work a day in your life. This, to me, is the crucial determinant of a research or non-research job. It has got to be the sort of work which you look forward to in the morning, and are reluctant to leave at night. The summer job is like a trial for you and I would highly recommend it to you. Even if you decide not to follow it up, it looks good on your CV/Biodata.

As an update, I talked to the second professor whom I listed.

I read about a lot of the cognitive/psychology/neuropsychology professors after I created this thread

Repeat of discussed person:

http://ccm.psych.uic.edu/People/Investigators/ragozzino.aspx

Supposedly, he is on sabbatical. He was in his office, so maybe I lucked out. He was willing to talk to me. I discussed with him my interests, and he said that he might be able to get me into a lab sometime in the fall.

I think that would be awesome.

Interestingly, he suggested I also seek out another professor.

I was thinking, "What is with professors referring me to people higher on the food chain?" = more impressive CV

So, I was referred to look into this professor:

http://www.psych.uic.edu/faculty/larson.htm

That professor has quite the serious background and CV.

I'm not too sure I would want to join his group, though.

If he's focusing on Alzheimer's research, I can't say I'm too interested.

The "aged" part of looking into "aged mice" is what makes me think he's looking into Alzheimer's research. I'm more interested in cognitive aspects rather than turning back the clock on an aging mind. I'm truthfully interested in both, but I'm not sure there is going to be too much active research.

It's another thing I'll look into.

I'm surprised these professors are telling me they "will have" or "do have" openings yet are referring me to other professors. I don't know how to read that.

Are they telling me that I should look for something better and more confined to my interests, or are they telling me there wouldn't be much for me to get involved with? What do some of you think they are telling me?

I try emailing these professors and asking about openings, but sometimes they don't reply to their emails.

As such, I have to go and meet them in person. Sometimes they don't even respond to me asking to meet them in person/office/etc..

It's so silly. Thus, I have to basically visit without getting an OK from them. I find it quite difficult to even derive a "I have no spots open" from them.

I somewhat feel like I'm getting into issues and problems, because I still have that appointment with Dr. Wiley (first mentioned professor) and this Dr. Larson person to look into. I'm not sure if I'm standing in a filling pool with a glass wall.

Edited by Genecks

Update (04-12-2010):

Problem solved, I think.

I decided to go with the second professor I mentioned in this thread. His research seems more relevant to me pursuing graduate school and me putting done psychobio research on an application. And I could bounce ideas off of him, which should be fun. I'm seriously impressed by all labs, though. It's unfortunate that I don't have a Time-Turner necklace.

Edited by Genecks