Is it me or the word "Soccer" taking over UK media

bloodhound

it seems like news readers and football commentators as well as the tabloids and taking to the word "soccer" nowdays. whenever i look at the tabloids , i see "SOCCER STAR SCANDAL!!!" or when i watch sports news , they say "Soccer star misses drugs test". etc.etc. Is it the demise of Football?

handball is already a game.

i think soccer and american footbal should have different names so we are more compatible with the rest of the world. i think we should use the SI system too. sure ours was made first, but SI is easier and used by everyone else.

handball is already a game.

If American football was called Handball, what you now call handball would be named something completely different.

This reminds me of an old joke:-

"why is an Elephant called an Elephant?"

"Because it looks like an Elephant you fool."

i think soccer and american footbal should have different names so we are more compatible with the rest of the world.

That's a good point. The American names are not compatible with anywhere else. American football is not football, it's rugby with massive amounts of saftey equipment. It should be called American Rugby, or Super Safe Rugby. Soccer was called Football since before America was discovered.

If your going to use the English Language, it's a bit of an odd decision to rename the English sports.

i think we should use the SI system too. sure ours was made first, but SI is easier and used by everyone else.

I have no idea what the SI stands for. Is it one of the following?

Acronym / Definition

Si Silicon

SI Slovenia (international code)

SI Sports Illustrated

SI Système International d'Unités (international system of units based on the Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere, Kelvin, Candela, and Mole)

SI Systems Integration

SI Sacroiliac

SI Safeguards Information

SI Salt Institute

SI Samahang Ilokano (Filipino college organization)

SI Sarcasm Intended

SI Saturation Index

SI Scalable Infrastructure

SI School of Information (university)

SI Schweizer Informatiker Gesellschaft (Zurich, Switzerland)

SI Science and Industry

SI Science Instrument (Hubble Telescope)

SI Scientific Investigation

SI Scintillation Index

SI Sector Iridectomy (partial removal of the iris of the eye)

SI Self Isolation

In the US, everyone would think of Sports Illustrated when you say SI. Yep, Sports Illustrated so we can catch up on all our soccer and football news. But yourdadonapogos was going for the one below that on the list. Very few people over here would have ever known about that one, though. In fact, I'm not sure how many people know we use a different system of measurements than the rest of the world. Maybe if Sports Illustrated talked more about it people would know...

If American football was called Handball' date=' what you now call handball would be named something completely different.

This reminds me of an old joke:-

"why is an Elephant called an Elephant?"

"Because it looks like an Elephant you fool."

That's a good point. The American names are not compatible with anywhere else. American football is not football, it's rugby with massive amounts of saftey equipment. It should be called American Rugby, or Super Safe Rugby. Soccer was called Football since before America was discovered.

If your going to use the English Language, it's a bit of an odd decision to rename the English sports.

I have no idea what the SI stands for. Is it one of the following?

Acronym / Definition

Si Silicon

SI Slovenia (international code)

SI Sports Illustrated

SI Système International d'Unités (international system of units based on the Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere, Kelvin, Candela, and Mole)

SI Systems Integration

SI Sacroiliac

SI Safeguards Information

SI Salt Institute

SI Samahang Ilokano (Filipino college organization)

SI Sarcasm Intended

SI Saturation Index

SI Scalable Infrastructure

SI School of Information (university)

SI Schweizer Informatiker Gesellschaft (Zurich, Switzerland)

SI Science and Industry

SI Science Instrument (Hubble Telescope)

SI Scientific Investigation

SI Scintillation Index

SI Sector Iridectomy (partial removal of the iris of the eye)

SI Self Isolation[/quote']

it is kinda obvious. Système International d'Unités (international system of units based on the Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere, Kelvin, Candela, and Mole). you know, also known as the metric system. ring any bells?

it is called CONTEXT.

No, it's not. It's called acronymous. In any text, if you use abbreviations you usually first explain what they are to define the context. If you fail to do this in scientific papers, you will lose marks. People cannot guess what you are inferring as they are often incorrect.

how many of those would have worked in context?

As jordan mentioned, Sports Illustrated would probably be the best fit in a converstation about sports. Myself, Systems Integration would have been my choice. That's why I asked for the explanation, because it needed clarification.

edit: Вы говорю по-русски?

No, I don't speak fluent Russian. Quite obviously I'm from the UK and have no pretentions to being Russian, French or from Area 51. I don't see what asking if I speak Russian has to do with anything. I can use conversational Russian if your really that interested:-

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4313

Football is becoming a more widely used term, referring to the American version, there is American rules, Aussie rules, and Canadian rules football. All of which are similar, though the Aussie rules seems a little more like rugby than any of the others. Of course in Africa, they call it gridiron, to avoid confusing it with soccer.

Though, I play soccer, and the people on my team call it football sometimes. Even our local semi-pro team is called a "football club". So I think it really just depends on who you talk to. Some Americans call it football, some British call it soccer.

Don't the Americans do this a lot? We spell things differently, such as colour versus color. Most Americans also do not use the metric system for reasons I will never understand.

Some Americans call it football, some British call it soccer.

I have lived in UK for more than 5 years, and have never heard anyone i know here it soccer.

Also all these differences in spelling came about when Websters dictionary decided to distance themselves from the british colonial history (thats what i read on many sites anyway)

I have lived in UK for more than 5 years, and have never heard anyone i know here call it soccer.

Also all these differences in spelling came about when Websters dictionary decided to distance themselves from the british colonial history (thats what i read on many sites anyway

• 4 weeks later...