If puppy was thrown from 30 feet high and 40 feet away would it splat or bounce?

Guest Sarah_Mac

Guest Sarah_Mac

If puppy was thrown from 30 feet high and 40 feet away would it splat or bounce?

I know this is horrible but my friend and i were having a big discussion on it, don't ask how it came up but any way i would like some scientific explanation behind your opinion. Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sayo, what do you need mass for? That's seems a pretty simple mistake...unless you were going to factor air resistence and other stuff into it.

As for the calculations you brought up, I got the following:

Verticle velocity: 24.3 m/sec

Time until impact: 2.47 sec

Horizontal Velocity: Same as the velocity you threw it at*

24.3 m/sec would be about 53.7 mph. It seems rather unlikely the dog would survive.

*Horizontal Velocity is probably able to be calculated but it would only lessen the odds of the dog's survival and that really seemed negligable at this point.

From three stories up you can't throw a 15# puppy farther than forty feet?

Sarah_Mac throws puppies LIKE A GIRL!!!

If you look at the name...

Btw' date=' given the height, the angle and the force involved, I'm sure he'd bounce at least once.[/quote'] I don't know, I think he'd just go SPLAT. People falling from tall buildings don't bounce, do they? They just go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CRUNCH SPLAT drip drip drip"

Did you like the vivid imagery there?^

Guest Sarah_Mac

hey, throwing like a girl is a compliment

and i guess there is no mathematically calculation for whether or not a puppy would bounce or splat, just likeliness of survival, the only way to really find out is to do it! I'll letchya know if it splats or not...

according to my calculations, the puppy will open a worm hole to another dimension and forms a wave particle duality which cannot be analysed without , the wormhole collapsing. thus the end of the world is nigh
The puppy has worms? I didn't know that! That's really gross!

I think, that whether or not the puppy survives this event, it's not gonna bounce. It's just gonna hit the ground and go "thud" or "splat".
See, I disagree. Given that you're probably going to have to throw overhand rather than underhand (girl or boy) to pitch a plump puppy forty feet away from you (imagine doing this with a bowling ball), there's going to be a great deal of forward momentum. The puppy is like us, mostly water with lungs and stomach like air bladders, so I think you'll get one bounce before Benji settles down to a limp roll.

Sarah_Mac, please tell me you'll just take my word for this. I know it seems like the whole family likes the puppy more than you right now, but that will wear off. Wait until he wee-wees on your mom's slippers and let her play chuck-the-puppy.

Guest Sarah_Mac

lol i wouldn't do that i don't even have a puppy, my friend was just talking about being mad and he suggested chucking a puppy out the window and watch it bounce to relieve his anger and i said it wouldn't bounce...and now i had to get back up and indeed common population thinks it would splat