About media stream loading........

albertlee

When I was watching a channel on Windows Media player, and I managed to download the 'linking' wmv file, and I open it with Ultra Edit to get the URL of where the real media file from......

but the address seems a bit strange: <asx version = "3.0">

<entry>

<Ref href="mms://210.61.218.116/wms.media.hinet.net/d06/ctv/ctv_live/ctvlive.wmv?hicEC4C831A-1910-404E-9573-9AE820CCB6F6" />

<!-- NeTcAcHe inserted previous line -->

<Ref href="mms://wms.media.hinet.net/d06/ctv/ctv_live/ctvlive.wmv?hicEC4C831A-1910-404E-9573-9AE820CCB6F6" />

</entry>

</asx>

and more over, the codes after the question mark seems some kind of ID, because it changes when I downloaded the wmv file at different time......

Can any body tell me how to download this media file?

Albert

mms://210.61.218.116/wms.media.hinet.net/d06/ctv/ctv_live/ctvlive.wmv?hicEC4C831A-1910-404E-9573-9AE820CCB6F6

type that part into a internet explorer or whichever alternative you have, for me, it auto-loads windows media player, and asks for more permission rights, so i can edit the source, i clicked no, as i dont know what file this is! but if you know its a safe file, or your security isnt as high as mine, you can click yes, to give it the extra rights, and see what happens.

once you have loaded the file, try 'file' 'save as' to save the file or 'file' 'add to media library' to download the file t your HDD

yes obviously, but at the same time, once the file has presumably downloaded itself in a temportary state onto your HDD so you can view it, cant you save it?

i dont know to be honest, but i thought it was a realistic guess! the file has to be somewhere! when it enters your system, why cant you save it?

hmmmm, as I have said, the codes after the question mark looks somehow like security ID, because now I dont have the permission to access that media any more, and I get to re download another wmv, to get another URL, the URL keeps on changing all the time???? why???????

Albert

http://www.wmrecorder.com/

It is made specifically to record streaming video and has a free demo.

In other words' date=' my first answer was correct.

You can't use "save as" because WMP knows not to allow saving of .wmv files (indeed, there is no temporary file [i']to[/i] save).

The number after the ? in the URL is a confirmation code to ensure your session is valid. It probably checks against an algorithm the player knows.

In other words' date=' my first answer was correct.

You can't use "save as" because WMP knows not to allow saving of .wmv files (indeed, there is no temporary file [i']to[/i] save).

The number after the ? in the URL is a confirmation code to ensure your session is valid. It probably checks against an algorithm the player knows.

oh, that's why there is an URL in the wmv file.......... the wmv file is in the temporary file, but it is not the complete file I want, the complete one should be in asf format, right?

Firstly, Can any one tell me what does it mean by "streaming"?

Secondly, I feel it is very weird about why the URL of my wmv file is connecting to another wmv file which is the same URL of where I get them? because a wmv file is suposed to connect to an URL which is an asf format file...right?

Albert

Afaik the only local file that could be considered the ".wmv file" is simply an address that tells WMP where to look for the stream (unless of course you happen to have a local copy of a WMV file, such as one you encoded yourself.

Streaming is the process of sending data in a continuous fashion, instead of in discrete lumps. With streaming media you are seeing the playback of the remote file (or indeed a live feed) "as it happens".

I think asf and wmv are two different streaming file formats. You should find lots of info on WMV here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/distribute.aspx

No, you already have the location of the file. The machine that is serving it is doing so in a fashion that only allows streaming.

I don't know how you can possibly expect to be able to download the file without knowing how it is served.