Some mouse problems

jordan

Hey, time for you to help me fix the computer again. Sorry. I do tend to do this a lot don't any. Anyway, today's subject: the mouse. A few things I've noticed recently:

1) The cursor can shake on the screen every once in a while. It's almost as though I'm violently shaking the mouse back and forth,the cursor doesn't move more than a few pixels though. It's just violently shaking and I'm not even touching the mouse.

2) The bigger problem. The cursor can randomly jump to different areas of the screen. A few favorites, the "start" button and the close window button (the "x" in the upper right). It's not a problem except when I'm clicking something and then the mouse suddenly jumps to the close window button and I click that instead, it gets annoying.

Any help?

For #2, I believe there is a setting in Windows under control panel, in Mouse (duh), which lets you set the mouse to do things like move automatically to a button. Be sure it's off.

I have an optical wireless mouse and it's always doing things like ignoring my movements, moving in the wrong direction, and having it stick while clicked. This is with the reciever/controller unit 1 foot away.

I hate it!

Optical with a wire.

[edit]Forgot to answer Cap'n. I checked and they are not.

Check there are no hairs or fibres lodged in the optical housing.

try re-installing the drivers or the mouse software' date=' incase a file has become corrupt[/quote']

I seriously doubt that would make the mouse pointer jerk around before it caused windows error messages.

mine is wireless too, but the reciever has a wire leading to the cable, so in the end, there is a connetion somewhere, and that could come slightly lose, although this doesnt normally make a difference if some dust got in, it could make a difference. try blowing in the connection socked [dont think dirty!] to remove any dust, just in case. it is possible! i've had it before, although not with a computer, with a different electrical item, where some dust got in the way & it mucked everything up. :)

How does your computer perform in general. I've seen computers that were really bogged down with low ram and lots of programs running on startup, perhaps spyware in the bg, that cause the mouse to jerk and become almost completly useless.

Also, what kind of surface are you using your mouse on? Optical mice have the advantage of being used on any surface, but, if you use it on a glass desk, it can behave strange.

As to the drivers, I got a $15 optical usb mouse (memorex I think), unplugged my old mouse, plugged in my new and never installed a thing. Depends on the OS of course, mine was XP.

if you use it on a glass desk, it can behave strange.

obviously, the light from the mouse goes straight through the table and doesnt bounce back to the mouse reciever at all, slight problem :D

i hadnt actually thought of that, if you use an optical mouse on a non-flat surface, even with tiny little bumps, the light can reflect at dodgy angles, resulting in a mouse which doesnt seem to work, and if you use a mouse mat with a clear plastic covering, the same effect can happen, try using something smooth :)

How does your computer perform in general. I've seen computers that were really bogged down with low ram and lots of programs running on startup, perhaps spyware in the bg, that cause the mouse to jerk and become almost completly useless.

Well, if you go through and find all my threads in the computer forum you'll see the answer is "not well". I'm guessing you're on the right track, but I don't know enough about computers to risk playing with all those things.

Also, what kind of surface are you using your mouse on? Optical mice have the advantage of being used on any surface, but, if you use it on a glass desk, it can behave strange.

A wooden desk.

Well, out of habit, and because I tire of fixing registries, unistalling bs programs and basically unclogging windows, I simple reinstall windows about 2 times a year.

Sure, you can get some registry repair software, uninstall programs, etc and maintain your pc. Or, you just wipe it clean and reinstall.

Now, people are like "I'll lose all my stuff". Well, back it up, and when you reinstall, setup a minimum of 2 partitions. I tend to setup my C partition to around 10 gb, and however much space remains to my second partition.

This way, you can easily transfer things like links, my documents, various other things you don't want to lose. Then, simply pop your windows disk in the cd-rom, an install it to the smaller partition.

The reason I say this, is if you are having a myriad of computer problems, lots of programs running on startup, error messages, etc, it will be easier for you to start from scratch then to try and repair it.

I'll try to look at your other threads later, but it sounds like a software related problem to me. You might try using a different mouse if possible, and try using your mouse on a sheet of paper or cardboard. The various finishes and surface on the wood may be causing weird problems as 5614 mentioned.

re: "a wooden desk"

this should be fine, i use a wooden desk, the only thing is that if it has deep grooves in the wood, then that can cause a problem, try using something very flat e.g. cardboard NOT a mouse board with plastic covering or with ridges

Re: "The only problem is that I don't trust myself backing-up and reinstalling the OS"

go ahead, try it, really, you cant muck up your computer, its a step by step process, just read the options carefully, remember format is wipe HDD and you dont want that! you cant muck up reinstalling an OS so long as you read the instructions! ;) give it a try