Netstat and Netsend

i do understand networks enough to understand what is going on in this thread, what i dont understand is how the net send command works.... which is the reason for (a) this thread and (b) these last few posts.

ok fine then, net send cannot be used over WANs such as the internet.

however pressumably the messenger service can.... so how can people exploit the messenger service to deliver pop-up messages to other computers over the internet? using IPs as a means of specifying which computer to send to?

how can people exploit the messenger service to deliver pop-up messages to other computers over the internet? using IPs as a means of specifying which computer to send to?
Spammers have tools to do this. It's quite trivial, because it's just a packet being sent to a TCP port on a windows machine. The standard 'net send' command can't do it, though.

Samba has a tool that can do exactly what you want, but you'll have to learn how to use Linux first.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a way to send a package to a TCP port without learning linux?

would a firewall prevent this package from being delivered?

what is a 'package'? is it just a program or file, or could you send it in the form of a pop-up message?

could this be used to exploit the messenger process?

I know mIrc has socket connections in its scripting. I'm a lil rusty, but seems you could connect to any ip, on any tcp port using these commands.

If you have mIrc, open up the help file and search for "socks" or it might be "socket commands", something to that effect.

At one point in time, some years ago I had made my own firewall program using mIrc. However, it would allow the incoming connection, only to bombard that IP with a counter attack. But we used to DOS each other offline for fun back in those days.

you seem to need to be quite advance within mIRC to do all of the cool stuff with it, im beginning to wonder whether im safe on it anymore.... could you give an example of a mIRC command to send a command, leaving a blank in the <ip> and <port> field... i can fill that in myself!

is it worth learning all about mIRC coding and stuff?

is there a way to send a package to a TCP port without learning linux?

would a firewall prevent this package from being delivered?

what is a 'package'? is it just a program or file' date=' or could you send it in the form of a pop-up message?

could this be used to exploit the messenger process?[/quote']

I think you mean 'packet'. There's plenty of free classes for VB6/VB.NET out there that allow you to do TCP/IP programming. A firewall (that is, a well-configured one), should only allow necessary traffic through to its destination. A packet is basically a small part of the total message that you want to send to someone and is inherant to the TCP/IP protocol. It has little to do with the Messenger service.

no but if you were sending a package to an IP address then the firwewall would block it, unless you exploited the fact that the messenger service is reading a port and so has access to it unrestricted by firewalls, so you could by-pass a firewall by going through the messenger port.

no but if you were sending a package to an IP address then the firwewall would block it, unless you exploited the fact that the messenger service is reading a port and so has access to it unrestricted by firewalls, so you could by-pass a firewall by going through the messenger port.

Erm, no. The firewall sits between the internet and your computer, which means that if it's properly configured to block incoming access, the messenger service won't even know there's incoming packets.

well to be honest im not 100% sure how the messenger program works, however this is how similar programs work:

when the firewall is first installed they will ask for permission to 'listen' to ports for incoming signals, if you block this you effectively end the working life of the program, however if you allow it, as most people will [because its called messenger - sounds harmless] it then is allowed constant access to the port.

therefore, if a packet is sent to that port, it will be recieved by the messenger program.

maybe messenger works differently, however there are programs very similar to messenger which work in the way above described.

Obviously if you're going to allow it access to listen on that port, then you're going to have problems with people sending you popups. The entire point of a firewall is to stop information getting through to the programs and hence if you allow non-essential programs such as the messenger service to listen on these posts, you're going to run into problems.

Why the obsession with the Messenger service though? It's nothing particularly special, just turn it off.

i once read on a website about hacking, that [suprisingly to me] most hacking is made easy by how dumb people are... regarding computer security.

if most people saw a message... "do you want to allow access to messenger?"

they would say yes, thinking messenger as in MSN, or some other communications program, or just because it sounds like a program you might need to talk.

therefore the messenger program is going to [sometimes] have access to a certain port [by-passing the firewall because you said it could!]

why the obsession with with messenger?

most people have still got it running and it is a program vastly exploited for that reason, i was hoping to learn how to exploit it too, maybe there are other processes running which can do a similar task [that is recieving and opening packages, not only access to ports]

my first problem was how to by-pass a firewall, but messenger does that for you!

now my problem is actually sending the packet, however i seem to need to know either advance IRC coding or linux, neither of which i know :(

is there an alternative?

Look: if you allow any program access to a port by telling the firewall to let it have access, that isn't "bypassing" the firewall. That's going through it because you let the firewall open the port. Trying to bypass a firewall is by no means an easy task.

I'm not going to tell you how to actively exploit something as annoying as the Messenger service, but bear in mind you're not going to be in peoples' good books if you go around displaying exceptionally annoying pop-up messages whilst they're working or whatever.