Essays

Gamewizard

Hi everyone,

I have to write two essays and just need some ideas as what type of things/topics i can include in them, the first one is better, but the second one i dont understand at all.

here are the essay titles

The importance of pH buffers to life (chemistry)

how the structures of macromolecules affect the properties of a cell (biochemistry)

If you have any ideas please do let me know

thanks

What class are these essays for?

For number two, I'm thinking about enzymes. I could also think about filaments.

You have fats that can affect the flow of the phospholipid bilayer in relation to temperature.

Phospholipids with a double bond in them can also affect flow.

I'm not sure what you're learning in your class and what could be expected of you in terms of structures.

Edited by Genecks

What class are these essays for?

For number two, I'm thinking about enzymes. I could also think about filaments.

You have fats that can affect the flow of the phospholipid bilayer in relation to temperature.

Phospholipids with a double bond in them can also affect flow.

I'm not sure what you're learning in your class and what could be expected of you in terms of structures.

I am in my first year of university doing biomedical science, the first one i am ok with it now, just this biochemistry one. We learned basic structure and function of all the main molecules back in the year i remember.

The second one seems ambiguous. In biology, structure relates to function. But then there are chemical signaling pathways, which are more about activation of cellular features than simple physical attributes of the cell, but they can determine whether or not the cell lives.

Maybe you could shoot an email and perhaps ask for the person to better describe what is being requested of you. Sometimes educators are being cryptic. At other times, they are poor writers.

Filaments are important, though. I can't remember, but I think if one type of filament doesn't form so well, skin is more susceptible to tears. It relates to physical stress, cytoskeleton compression, and more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_filament

The phospholipid bilayer also acts as a filter.

Edited by Genecks

• 7 months later...

The second one seems ambiguous. In biology, structure relates to function. But then there are chemical signaling pathways, which are more about activation of cellular features than simple physical attributes of the cell, but they can determine whether or not the cell lives.

Cheap Essays

Edited by essyweb

For the first one, think about the chemical reactions that are important to life and what might happen if you start changing the pH of the solution.

Enzymes, extent of prononation of amino acids and a whole range of other things are depndant on pH

I think that second essay is a fairly straightforward title. After all, life is essentially a system which emerges from the interactions of polymers with different structures.

One approach would be to survey in general how repeated units in biological polymers can bond to themselves or other molecules to form larger structures. Then go into more detail with specific moleules. I would focus on (for example):

• DNA, how its strucure is important (double-strandedness, wrapping around histones etc)
  • how enzymes work in general, and cofactors
  • key examples of single subunit and multiple subunit enzymes...
  • transport proteins (the different types all relate structure to function differently)
  • ATP synthase
  • Photosystem II

Then you can pull back out to more general discussion and conclusion. The classic hour-glass essay structure is perfect for this sort of general question.

Edited by Blahah