Mr Beck

ydoaPs

I just found out that Glenn Beck is a Mormon. The Tea Baggers went nuts with conspiracy theories about Obama being a Muslim, but we don't hear anything about Beck. That seems odd to me. I was under the impression that most Tea Party people are of the religious persuasion that thinks Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are non-Christian cults.

Did I miss something?

I was under the impression that most Tea Party people are of the religious persuasion that thinks Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are non-Christian cults.

That's a new one on me. Do you recall where you heard this?

The Tea Party movement has picked up a lot of extremists, just as environmentalism and free trade have on the left, but as conceptually intended it's not a religious movement.

I saw it on his Wikipedia page. It's on his bio box on the right side of the page.

The Tea Party movement has picked up a lot of extremists, just as environmentalism and free trade have on the left, but as conceptually intended it's not a religious movement.

Although, in practice, it's got a certain religious flavour. 'Teabagging for Jesus' and whatnot. I mean, half the stuff Beck and Palin say is religious.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I misread the OP. Thought you said that Beck is a Moron. I thought, "well, duh. thanks captain obvious." My bad.

That's besides the point.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Also:

Beck recorded a DVD entitled “An Unlikely Mormon” (with Deseret Book Company, which is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

I thought people's religious beliefs were dangerous only when their political views run counter to your own. As long as Beck says the right things, the most they'll say about him is "Well if other Mormons were half the man Beck was...." and really only shy away if he says something they don't like.

Mit Romney hasn't been too badly hurt by being a Mormon that I'm aware of - as it been an issue for him?

ydoapPs quote;

I just found out that Glenn Beck is a Mormon. The Tea Baggers went nuts with conspiracy theories about Obama being a Muslim, but we don't hear anything about Beck. That seems odd to me. I was under the impression that most Tea Party people are of the religious persuasion that thinks Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are non-Christian cults.[/Quote]

Funny thing is, I had no idea Beck was running for President of the United States. There is nothing new here to begin with, Beck has mentioned his faith maybe hundred times, over years and to my knowledge the "Tea Party people" as in "those people" primarily object to the current administrations spending policy and methods. Why not go back over Sarah Palin's religion, Mike Huckabee's religious training or even that other "people" Mitt Romney, who is Mormon, or even Governor Jindal of Louisiana (Southern State) and converted from Hinduism, all of which are potential Republican Candidates in 2012....and would likely be supported by "those people"...

Personally, I could really care less what religion Beck is. If I remember correctly he actually converted to LDS as he fought his addiction to alcohol. So if he found help overcoming his addiction in a church good for him.

As for the implication that this interferes with his tea partying, I really don't think the LDS is that much of a fringe group. If this was the 1800's then yeah he would be considered fringe, but now I think they are considered pretty, although at times annoying with their door to door stuff.

Mormons-as-fanatics is mainly a meme of the left. Conservatives tend to embrace them. You do see some Christian groups denounce them now and then, though.[/Quote]

Pangloss; I seriously doubt "Religious Conservatives" embrace Mormons any more than the left, similarly certain segments of the left would actually embrace the traditional concepts of the church.

As for the general public, by next weeks end, we are likely to have 3 Jewish and 6 Catholics as the head of the "Judicial Branch" (SCOTUS) of the American Government and I am seeing little or no "Christian Groups" (usually referenced as Evangelicals) protesting this and both over time (historically) were protested by both Government and the Evangelicals...

By and far, most Christians look upon Mormonism as a cult, and certainly most Catholics (~1/3 of America) look upon everything non-Catholic as wrong. Only some Christians speak out against them, most won't embrace them as fellow Christians (especially because they evangelize), but undoubtedly a few do accept them.

By and far' date=' most Christians look upon Mormonism as a cult, and certainly most Catholics (~1/3 of America) look upon everything non-Catholic as wrong. Only some Christians speak out against them, most won't embrace them as fellow Christians (especially because they evangelize), but undoubtedly a few do accept them.

[/quote']

Well okay, but we're discussing politics, not socialization preferences. What you're forgetting is that there are only two sides to American politics, so Mormons have to be on one side or the other. You get three guesses which way Mormons usually vote, and the first two don't count. Voting is a message, and politically-aware conservatives know an ally when they see one. Likewise, politically-aware liberals know what that message means too.

Just to give another example of allies-of-convenience, Christians also have an historic religious antipathy towards Judaism, but look at how the Israel/Palestine thing breaks down -- support for Israel comes mainly from the right; support for Palestine comes mainly from the left. That's not just a function of some wonky belief in preconditions for Jesus' return -- it's mainly based on a general matching of ideological preferences.

Mormons-as-fanatics is mainly a meme of the left. Conservatives tend to embrace them. You do see some Christian groups denounce them now and then' date=' though.

[/quote']Pangloss; I seriously doubt "Religious Conservatives" embrace Mormons any more than the left,

I didn't actually say (or mean) that, but I do believe you're mistaken. Just to expand a bit further on my point to ewmon above, religious conservatives understand very well the old concept of allies of convenience, and find far more in common with Mormons than they do with, say, atheists. For the basis of the Christian-Mormon political alliance, one has to look no further than the fact that Utah hasn't voted for a Democratic presidential candidate in over 40 years.

For $10 per month, you can study at Glenn Beck University... with wonderful subjects like Faith 101, Hope 101, and Charity 101.

-5nUf-Qtf8Y

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0703/glenn-beck-launches-university-hires-dr-stoner-the-rights-favorite-pseudohistorian/

Only "extreme" insiders are cool enough for this school.

That's apparently the one requirement to get new media content directly from a few individuals who Fox News opinion host Glenn Beck has selected to lecture on politics, U.S. history and the right-wing's ideal vision for a theocratic America.

Yes, you read correctly: Glenn Beck is launching what he calls a "university," and only subscribers to Beck's "Insider Extreme" club (memberships start at $9.95 per month) are allowed access.

That last item, about the right-wing's ideal vision for America, is not pronounced by Beck in his, er, founding documents. However, the politically ambiguous television personality has hired Dr. James R. Stoner -- who believes that separation of church and state means not discriminating between Christian denominations -- and David Barton: a man better known as one of the most influential evangelical Christians in the country and "the right's favorite pseudo-historian," according to his critics at People for the American Way.

"Offered exclusively to Insider Extreme subscribers, Beck University is a unique academic experience bringing together experts in the fields of religion, American history and economics," Beck's Web site declares. "Through captivating lectures and interactive online discussions, these experts will explore the concepts of Faith, Hope and Charity and show you how they influence America’s past, her present and most importantly her future."

I'm simply inspired right now. People can finally circumvent the liberal bias of reality with a university staffed with paste eaters. :rolleyes:

One giant ad hom post complete with self indicted misrespresentation. Nice.

So..again, why is it a problem to ad hom Krugman? Ooops, wrong post.

I wonder if any of the left wing paste eaters can tell us why Barton is a pseudo-historian or if they're just repeating what some grownups said.

Personally I can't wait to see how Charity 101 gets trashed. That will be a classy post, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll share a personal story in regards to Mormons and religion in general. My best friend in high school was a Mormon and we lived in "The South". I was raised in a "general" christian home - didn't attend church, didn't say grace, except with grandma, basically didn't think about it much. Anyway, my friend asked me if he could visit with some friends of his who were on a mission in the area to "practice". I said sure, come visit.

So, they came over and my sister and I served them some lemonade and they played a video about Joseph Smith and the Mormons, then they gave me their bible and talked a little more about their faith. They then expressed how happy they were to receive such a nice greeting, that they were not used to this kind of treatment. They asked if it was because they were with my friend. I told them that a Jehovah's witness had been visiting me recently and that I treated him with respect as well.

They then asked "You didn't let him in did you?" LOL

This was the beginning of the end of religion for me.

As far as religious intolerance, I can't really divide that politically. Most of the baptists I knew would not accept catholics, mormons or jehovah witnesses as christians and they were usually republican. Catholics were more moderate and usually were democrat. But this was a small portion of the country.

I think Romney would have beaten McCain if he had been a Protestant. Religion is a very real obstacle in politics.

Edited by john5746

I think most Christian sects view Mormons as somewhere between heretics and misguided. Some view them as worse, and some as better, than atheists. As Pangloss said though, in America there are only two sides to politics and in this they are on the same side.

Glenn Beck defends Shirley Sherrod?

The woman never guessed that she would unite Glenn Beck and the NAACP, but he has spoke out in support of her. Even though the woman had been told when she was forced to resign that she would be "on Glenn Beck Tonight", she never dreamed he would say "She should not have been fired or forced to resign." The zany host even went as far as to say she should get her job back, or even be promoted.

It is kind of surprising to see him be reasonable. And I do enjoy this headline "Who was the first to jump to Sherrods defense, the White House? NAACP? no it was GLENN BECK"

I still think Glenn Beck has synthesized theatrics and commentary so much that it has very little value. And his religio politics is creepy, to say the least. But ever now and then, he manages to be acceptable.

Well sure, he found another way to criticize the administration, so of course he flip-flopped on a dime. But sure, I'll give him credit for taking the right stance. Bill O'Reilly actually apologized for his comments; I don't know if Beck did that, but I don't know if he has anything to apologize for.