Genetics vs Neuroscience

Craguls

Hey guys,

Just looking for some general career advice about my area of speciality.

I better be sure to clear somethings up first since a lot of the user base here seems to be American (So please excuse my newbie-ness); I'm Irish so we essentially declare our majors from when we enter college however I'm a little bit more flexible as I'm studying general Science in Trinity College meaning I get to choose between ~18 different areas of science as my major.

Anyway, as the title suggests I'm trying to decide between Genetics and Neuroscience as my areas of speciality with the view of going into something like Pharmacogenomics or Neuropharmacology research depending on what I eventually choose.

How are things career wise in both areas?

Any information at all is appreciated.

Edited by Craguls

I think if that is your goal, you would want to move more toward cellular biology or biochemistry for sure (as you'll be doing a lot of chemistry). A neuroscience learning tends to involve some philosophy/psychology classes. A biology major will give you a taste of chemistry with more emphasis on genetics and cellular biology. If you wanted to be a psychiatrist, then I think the philosophy/psychology classes would matter, be useful, and make you more open-minded.

If I had to throw you somewhere, I'd probably throw you in the biochemistry department.

As I've said on this forum, I've become increasingly biased toward suggesting that anyone desiring graduate work in neuroscience should get a B.S. in Biochemistry. Reason: The philosophy and psychology classes a person is required to take seem trivial and almost worthless unless the material immediately relates to cellular neurobiology and neurogenetics. Such materials are not often covered until graduate school or taking graduate-level classes.

I've taken the psychology and philosophy classes. I've experienced them. Sure, the philosophy of science is some cool stuff and fun to think about. After studying some of it, you feel like more of a scientist and question what you are really doing, but it's not going to immediately help you. The psychology classes might help, as they cause some people to learn some statistical tricks; but they, too, are not immediately helpful. I, personally, have not cared for the philosophy or psychology classes. Besides their not being immediately relevant, they cost money. I could just as well read the material in my free time. You want to build a skill set.

Pharmacy is good money these days, as people are continually brain-washed to believe they need pills. Some people are loony and need to relax, but otherwise, it's a bunch of scientists being unethical capitalists. I think more research should be done on ADHD persons and the neural darwinistic effects of medication vs. non-medication and attempting to live normal lives.

Being a biochemist should open many doors for you in terms of research.

I think the best advice I can give you, as I suspect you're a freshman, is that you need to start talking to research professors as soon as possible and tell them you want to get into their labs. Tell them that you plan on being around for four or so years, and you're plenty willing to spend time training under them. That gives you a leg up. And professors are truly biased toward seniors, thus not wanting to hire them: They'll be gone soon. With a freshman, they can train you and shape you to conduct the tasks that his/her lab requires. You'll be a useful asset after a bit of training: Free labor for a couple of more years. And try not to get angry or show annoyance with the arrogant or socially ignorant ones.

If the professor doesn't need any assistants, ask the graduate students if they need assistants. Graduate students do need assistants, as many I've talked to desire to have an assistant. And ask the graduate assistants if somehow they could get you in the lab working for them but still under the professor.

Edited by Genecks