School is Near

DJBruce

So its getting to be that time of year again were many SFN'ers are going back to school. So what are your guy's schedules, or if you are teaching what are you teaching?

My schedule is:

-ENGLISH 125: College Writing (4 Credit Hours): This is just the standard required freshman writing course. According to what I have heard the focus of this course is on learning and refining the revising process. To do this my section will look at material, both fiction and non-fiction, pertaining to mental illness.

-MATH 295: Honors Mathematics I (4 Credit Hours): This is the beginning of the advanced calculus sequence. This course focuses heavily on the theory rather than the application. In it we will cover Calculus: Spivak in the semester. To be completely honest this is the class I am probably most excited for. I can’t wait for it to start.

-MATH 289: Problem Solving (1 Credit Hour): The goal of this course is to help students learn new problem solving strategies by working through numerous different problems in both small groups and individually. This course is supposed to help prepare students to compete in the Putnam Competition and other math competitions.

-PHYSICS 160: Honors Physics I (4 Credit Hours): This course is the introductory mechanics course that is a prerequisite to my major in physics. So it is basically your standard calculus physics course. This class will use Matter and Interactions: Modern Mechanics 3rd Ed. by Chabay and Sherwood.

-PHYSICS 161: Honors Mechanics Lab (1 Credit Hour): Again just your introductory physics lab. Nothing special, however, it is a prerequisite to my major.

-UROP: Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (1-4 Credit Hours): I get set up with a faculty member doing research and get to participate in doing research. Depending on the amount of time I work I can earn anywhere from 1 to 4 credit hours of credit. I am hoping to do research in physics, but I wouldn't mind doing it in math either.

Well, mine's nothing special, as I lower myself back into academia by degrees. I have British literature on TR, fine arts on MWF, and that's about it. I suppose I'll emerge slightly more cultured, at least. :P My semester actually started today, also.

Edited by John

I have to take a bunch of crap classes:

ARTH 101 Survey of Art and Culture

ARTH 110 Art Appreciation

ENG 112 Exposition and Persuasion

FITN 100 Lifetime Fitness and Wellness

IVYT 102 Information Studies and Research Skills

PSYC 205 Abnormal Psychology

Yay for prereq