Cool, but kinda un-nerving

MolecularMan14

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU. :)

lol

I shouldn't worry about it. If the military wanted, they could get higher resolution images in realtime without breaking a sweat and follow you around everywhere :)

Oh, and echelon also reads (and records the most interesting) e-mails and telephone calls.

Hence I use OpenGPG :D

What's OpenGPG? Encryption software? Bah... they could read that!

Given a few months, probably. But I doubt they care that much. I also use 4096 bit keys, which makes it rather difficult to crack.

Anyways, I have pictures of my house that are very high resolution (relatively) and I can see all the trees and bushes easily. People just show up as dots though. What's strange is the small number of cars on the road...

Those were probably taken from the air by a helicopter. Not that'd I know, ofc.

Satellite. Military satellites could read the licence plate off of our car...

But anyways, no, they could crack it in seconds. It's a commercial software, and besides, to crack a code, you don't just run through al of the keys. You use special techniques that easily crack it in minutes. What do you think they did with Enigma, guess?

I shouldn't worry about it. If the military wanted' date=' they could get higher resolution images in realtime without breaking a sweat and follow you around everywhere :)

Oh, and echelon also reads (and records the most interesting) e-mails and telephone calls.

Hence I use OpenGPG :D[/quote']

lmao, oh believe me, I know. Im not worried about anybody seeing my house or lab or neighborhood, or school, so on. BIG BROTHER is just a paraniod illusion. Ya gotta love the conspiracy theorists :D

But anyways, no, they could crack it in seconds. It's a commercial software, and besides, to crack a code, you don't just run through al of the keys. You use special techniques that easily crack it in minutes. What do you think they did with Enigma, guess?

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about - I've read various articles on the subject as well as studied the mathematics behind it. This code is pretty tough to break. The particular encryption method is called RSA encryption and is extremely clever.

It uses two huge (and I mean really, really big) prime numbers which form a private key. The public key is the product of these primes - which is naturally absolutely huge. What it surmounts to is the fact that trying to guess which two primes made the product is an extremely hard process, and one only achieveable by trial and error - or if you know a formula for the nth prime, which nobody (as far as I'm aware) has been able to produce for the last 2000 years or so. It's a little more complex than this, but you can have a look here for further information.

Okay, fine.

But are you scared that someone is reading all of your emails and seeing what you do all of the time?

BUT BACK TO THE TOPIC, I really like these pictures... fun to look at others' houses and see the cars, try to tell what type they are... and so on. Does anyone actually think that it's a violation of privacy?

Okay' date=' fine.

But are you scared that someone is reading all of your emails and seeing what you do all of the time?[/quote']

No, I just value my privacy. I don't encrypt every e-mail I send to everyone - because for the large part they're useless. But I'd rather people not know every detail about my life.

BUT BACK TO THE TOPIC, I really like these pictures... fun to look at others' houses and see the cars, try to tell what type they are... and so on. Does anyone actually think that it's a violation of privacy?

Not really. It's not exactly intelligence gathering-quality. They can't identify individuals, cars, etc. I wouldn't consider it a problem.

I have posted this link before. but this is a good place for it

http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/personal/drw/XCO/CO1.ch4.pdf

leture notes on cryptography. Theres some basic ones. and then u have the modern ones. including the RSA dave was talking about.

I have also read the book The Codebreakers, which discusses it in detail.

Using the theory of the one-time pad, couldn't you make a code in which the sender gives the key to the recipient in person, then the recipient puts it in. Then in the message, you include the random key to the next message (but encrypted). That way you wouldn't have to keep giving him keys, because they are sent in the unbreakable message.

Wouldn't that work?