Eyes on the prize; vision of the mantis shrimp

Apparently, the various species of mantis shrimp have the most fully developed eyes on the planet, with ten to twelve types of visual cones, maybe as many as sixteen (we only have three), and trinocular vision (for each eye!!!)

What of this is true? Are there any further details that might be interesting? Where can I find more info that I can trust?

And, also, what applications may this tidbit of evolutionary extremism have regarding the genetic enhancement of future generations of humans? :D

That's my thought. Maybe not now, but in several decades i don't doubt we'll be able to fuse human dna with that of other animals to create fuctional advancements. Of course, the proper changes would have to be made to the brain to interpret the information. I guess that's where the problem comes in. Or maybe not. That's my problem. I just don't know!!!! IS IT POSSIBLE???? AAHHHHHHHHH!! (Twitch, Twitch :confused: )

Let's take it up a notch and say they made a dna cocktail of owl/hawk/mantis shrimp vision. Now, let's pretend our society has advanced to the point of general equality of wealth across the planet with a joint government and a safely controlled, stable population.

In such a scenario, would it be feasible or plausible to make such drastic changes to large portions of the human race? Or should it be limited to military-type people, explorers, and scientists?

(This also applies to other genetic advancements in the sensory realm)

• 2 months later...