Ethics involved with doing research with fish?

Genecks

Let's say I wanted to start up a laboratory where I constantly did research with fish, in particular goldfish. And I would probably be killing a lot of goldfish each week, maybe 20. Furthermore, I wanted to have a lab full of assistants who were also doing research (inside and outside of the lab).

What kind of ethical constraints am I going to run into?

Are there many problems that I will come into because I'm using fish?

Considering that millions, if not billions of goldfish are sold each year for nothing more than live food for other fishes i can see no reason to expect any ethical constraints other than the ones you set for your self in using goldfish for any purpose....

Edited by Moontanman

The answer will in part depend on what you are doing to the fish. If your experiments require invasive surgery without anesthesia to give the required results, expect trouble from the university/lab ethics committee.

There will not be a terrible amount of trouble, but quite a bit of additional paperwork. Essentially you have to demonstrate that what you do is worthwhile, that no viable alternatives exist and that relevant procedures are taken to minimize pain and distress. Normal requirements, especially for NIH funded projects, also include training in that area. Essentially the requirements for the respective animal welfare laws have to be fulfilled (as well as certain other guidelines). These apply to all vertebrates.

The ethics committee mostly works with you to fulfill these requirements.

Edited by CharonY