Good microscope for observing protozoa?

morganix

First things first. This well be my first microscope, actually the first time I will ever look through a microscope, but I know I want to observe and identify pond life. A good trinocular head is essential to me since I want to hook the microscope up to my 1080p TV. I have been very impressed by the quality of video and microscope that this individual is using and would like similar results.

His setup is as follows

Microscope: Nikon Fluophot Flourescence Research Microscope

Camera: Canon T1i w/ EOS Extension Tube adaptor w/Nikon 2.5X Projector lens

Scope Settings: 15.1 MP Canon 1.6x Camera over 10x or 40x Objective

Which he shows and outlines here: http://www.flashbax....n-fluophot.html

However this microscope seems to be impossible to find online and is probably out of my budget anyway. I am currently the winning bidder on a different microscope: http://cgi.ebay.com/...8BV3cdqkx8%253D

for $400 and I was wondering if I could get similar results from it if I was to upgrade (later on) to PLAN objectives and hook up a high quality camera of my own (Canon Ti or Nikon D90). I figured I could enjoy the protozoan life through the binoculars and regular objectives until I upgrade this unit.

Or would I be better off saving my money and buying something like a Nikon Optiphot/ Labophot which I imagine would have similar quality as the Fluophot used by the individual I mentioned? I have seen these for around $800.

I don't know much about microscopes, just what I have read in the last two days actually, so let me know if I'm on the right track. I understand that a compound microscope is my best choice (for a first at least) that way I can also use it for high resolution (1000x plus). Well that and all the inverted trinocular microscopes I have looked at are extremely expensive. It's hard to find information specific to observing pond life but from what I have read phase contrast is the best technique for this purpose. Any information helps!

Edited by morganix

Many years ago I had an Aus Jena surgical microscope. Aus Jena was the portion of the Zeiss microscope company, in Jena, that was left in East Germany when the company split in two after WWII. Almost all Aus Jena scopes were made in East Germany prior the fall of the Soviet Union, and production stopped when reunification recombined the east and west portions of Zeiss. They were a bit clunky but of high quality and even as old as they are $400 is a good price. The biggest problem would be finding parts, such as illuminator bulbs, and adapting a modern camera to the trinocular mount. A good source of information is Martin Microscope, the original importer of Aus Jena instruments. They still have some old ones for sale and I am sure that they would be willing to help out an amateur with problems or questions. Web site at- http://www.martinmicroscope.com

SM

Edited by SMF