The eyes and motor movement

berlinbrown

I read somewhere that the way most of us think of eye sight is wrong. For example, we may see a Facebook image and we believe that an image is made up of a 2d dimensional width by height image. And maybe our eye sight is constructed of moving 2d images.

Is there a better way to describe how eye sight really works and how we may perceive light? The eyes are always moving and I guess sending certain signals to the brain with a feedback response to move based on what the eyes sees.

I think an image on the retina must be 2D. We get an impression of the 3rd dimension through binocular vision. A person with only one eye would have to make distance judgments using apparent size. The focussing of his one eye would also help in determining distance, particularly of nearby objects. Also if you are moving then parallax will give clues about distance. I don't see that there is some automatic link between moving and seeing. You can observe without moving and also move without looking. You decide if you want to move and your brain uses all available inputs in making the final decision.(IMO)

Edited by TonyMcC