not thinking when cleaning

scotchlady

In my haste while trying to finish up some laundry I threw some nearly dry dishcloths (that had vinegar on them) into the washer with a little bleach. Awhile later I thought uh oh. Just wondering what everything thinks as how big of a boo-boo I made. Obviously my intent was not to make chlorine gas. Any and all ideas no this are appreciated.

Thanks~

I don't know the concentration of the vinegar, and I don't know how much you used on the cloths.

But a laundry machine uses quite a bit of water, so the whole thing got diluted quite fast... which means it is not really a problem.

Did you use bleach in solution or bleach powder?

Edited by CaptainPanic

It was white vinegar that was diluted to 5%. The bleach was in a solution, it is something like 3-6%. It was also older bleach so from what I have read the concentration of sodium hypochlorite would have been lower.

Then I think you're fine. Too much water, and too little vinegar/bleach to cause any serious problems. Chlorine gas dissolves quite well in water, so even if some was formed, it stayed in solution in the water, and never came in the air.

Edited by CaptainPanic

I also think that the washing powder (if you used any) would have neutralised any ill-effects that may or may not have come to be. But yeah, 5% vinegar diluted by a wash cycle of about 12 liters, as well as a low concentration of bleach isn't going to do much. Even is you did miraculously end up creating chlorine gas, the amount would have been so little as to be negligible.

EDIT: Ah crap, it's late and I didn't read the earlier posts. I just repeated CaptainPanic's words. Sorry

Edited by Stefan-CoA