I got a question

drz

Ok, so I do alot of wrench turning. I've been rebuilding a datsun truck L20B engine this past weekend. While we were assembling pieces and parts, one of us had a question we can't think of a good answer.

When dealing with tools, in this case, ratchets and sockets, we have a 1/4 drive, a 3/8 drive and a 1/2 drive. Obviously since 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 are standard measurements, I was curious how ratchets are labeled in the UK or somewhere that uses the metric system.

I know 3/8 is close to 10mm, 1/2 to 13mm, is this the answer?

we also have 3/8" and 1/4" etc etc

i wasnt sure about this.... so i just checked it up on a few online UK shops, and we have the same old measurements.

we also use MPH and stuff like that though, so we're not really metric!

yeah sure you can probably buy them, but the UK as a whole is still using MPH and inches/feet..... however children are learning in KPH and cm so soon the country will have to change.... however i think that as far as speeds are concerned - school might teach KPH, but everyone knows MPH, so i dont think that will change for a while, but the inch --> cm needs changing soon.

Cap'n, I too have metric tools. Sockets, wrenches etc. They are needed for foriegn vehicles. My question was on the drive size of socket wrences, AKA ratchets. I've only ever seen them in 1/4 size, 3/8 and 1/2.

something like this

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/1-5323.html

I'm refering to the block that the socket locks onto.