Cloud Patterns

Yoseph

I find clouds really fascinating and spectacular. Today I was sitting on a bench and I looked up and saw this interesting pattern in they sky. There were long straight moderately thin clouds (low down and definately natural). And they were lined up across the center of the sky like this | | | | |. To me it looked like there was some sort of ripple in the atmosphere and these clouds were forming at the top of each wave. I was wondering if anyone had any speculation as to how they formed from a clear sky..?

Almost certainly an indication ripples in the atmosphere. Usually forms to the lee of hills and mountains when there is a strong steady wind. Glider pilots love it when they get a chance to fly in these conditions. They call it "wave lift" and it is often indicated by clouds like you describe. The link is given for information (not advertising). It describes wave lift. http://www.scottishglidingcentre.co.uk/lift.htm

Edited by TonyMcC