Trampolines and Static Electricity

StringJunky

My nephew brought to my attention that he gets electric shocks when climbs off his trampoline. This is new knowledge to me as I would have thought the metal frame and metal springs would automatically discharge the static to the ground as it was created by him slightly rubbing his feet against the fabric with each jump. Is it wearing shoes that causes the static around his built up around his body to be isolated from the trampoline preventing it being discharged through it...would bare feet negate it? I'm interested in the physics and also by what method/equipment it can be avoided or reduced.

Edited by StringJunky

My nephew brought to my attention that he gets electric shocks when climbs off his trampoline. This is new knowledge to me as I would have thought the metal frame and metal springs would automatically discharge the static to the ground as it was created by him slightly rubbing his feet against the fabric with each jump. Is it wearing shoes that causes the static around his built up around his body to be isolated from the trampoline preventing it being discharged through it...would bare feet negate it? I'm interested in the physics and also by what method/equipment it can be avoided or reduced.

Sounds like you have a hypothesis. Why not carry out the experiment. Have your nephew jump with bare feet, say 200 times, and then ask him if he gets an electric shock.

Sounds like you have a hypothesis. Why not carry out the experiment. Have your nephew jump with bare feet, say 200 times, and then ask him if he gets an electric shock.

I will do. Thinking about it, he said when he puts his hand on the metal frame it hits him so it seems the soles of his shoes maybe acting as an insulator.

Edited by StringJunky