sun poles reverse

Athena

I read the suns poles reverse every solar cycle and the nest one is due 2012. This appears to happen without effecting the earth, but periodically the earths poles also shift, and I have read we are due for a pole shift and the climate change could be part of this shift. What are the thoughts on this?

I read the suns poles reverse every solar cycle and the nest one is due 2012. This appears to happen without effecting the earth, but periodically the earths poles also shift, and I have read we are due for a pole shift and the climate change could be part of this shift. What are the thoughts on this?

You might want to check out the Wikipedia article on "Pole Shift Hypothesis":

The cataclysmic pole shift hypothesis suggests that there have been geologically rapid shifts in the relative positions of the modern-day geographic locations of the poles and the axis of rotation of the Earth, creating calamities such as floods and tectonic events.

No form of the hypothesis is accepted amongst the scientific community. There is evidence of precession and changes in axial tilt, but this change is on much longer time-scales and does not involve relative motion of the spin axis with respect to the planet. However, in what is known as true polar wander, the solid Earth can rotate with respect to a fixed spin axis. Research shows that during the last 200 million years a total true polar wander of some 30° has occurred, but that no super-rapid shifts in the Earth's pole were found during this period...

(ref. http://en.wikipedia....hift_hypothesis )

If, on the other hand, you're referring to a magnetic pole reversal, Wikipedia also has an article on this phenomenon:

The Earth's field has alternated between periods of normal polarity, in which the direction of the field was the same as the present direction, and reverse polarity, in which the field was in the opposite direction. These periods are called chrons. The time spans of chrons are randomly distributed with most being between 0.1 and 1 million years..

(ref. http://en.wikipedia....gnetic_reversal )

In both cases no scientific consensus exists that they cause significant climate disruption.

Chris

Edited to add portion on magnetic pole reversal.