Univerisity of Chicago

Brabecam

I need some novel ideas that will help me stand out on an application to the University of Chicago, preferably within a year of today. Can anyone help me?

My Highschool grades blew, and my first shot of college doesn't look too good either, but, I'm back in college, getting some of the basics out of the way. I'm looking to get a Bachelors in either Astrophysics or Cosmology, and can readily grasp the concepts of some advance sciences, but not the Mathematics, not yet.

I take it that Chicago is a difficult university to get into? There are some well known names in physics there: R.P. Geroch, R.M. Wald, J. Harvey and Y. Nambu.

I think getting good grades is essential. Being aware of things in modern physics, but not necessarily understanding them would potentially help your application. You need to show that you are interested and keen. Reading a little popular science could aid you here.

As for the mathematics side of things, I would say that as long as you are ok with basic algebra and calculus you will be fine. Be aware of the role of calculus in basic physics.

I think it would be ok to contact the undergraduate admissions tutor for more advice about their individual entry requirements and expectations.

As an aside in mathematics you have Vladimir Drinfel'd and Victor Ginzburg. (Chicago looks a good place to be. )

Edited by ajb

University of Chicago is a well-known school, and they have a lot of tech for doing science experiments, for sure.

Long ago, prior to the 1980s, people who were driven academics didn't have as large a problem of getting into the school as academics do now.

These days, there is a large egg-head competition to get in there. Furthermore, UofC has large grade deflation, so it doesn't make it the best undergraduate school. And you might not get research right away unless you walk in with maybe a senior-level knowledge of physics; as such, I doubt they'll let you in. That's just the way that place is.

Personally, I have a large distaste for the amount of power, money, and resources some universities have been allowed to amass without attempting to use most of it for intended purposes (aka science).

Also, I figure anyone who did have a university/college senior-level knowledge of physics would also have a serious consideration of other universities besides UofC: Such a person might know of other schools covering topics he/she wants to pursue for the next 5 years.

But I'll say this: Go to the best school you can within reasonable cost. If the in-state private that costs maybe a couple of grand more is better than the in-state public, go the private.

Edited by Genecks