Simple Physics problem

neo007

Hi all, came across this question in prep for my GAMSAT exam.

I've been trying to work it out, but my answers do not match up with the given answers in the book. 5.5 x 10^-7 is the given answer.

I've attached the problem with this post.

Can anyone verify that 5.5 x 10^-7 is correct or a mistake?

Any help appreciated.

edit: Ignore the graph part

post-365-0-69142600-1313743450_thumb.jpg

Edited by neo007

I've been trying to work it out, but my answers do not match up with the given answers in the book. 5.5 x 10^-7 is the given answer.

I've attached the problem with this post.

Can anyone verify that 5.5 x 10^-7 is correct or a mistake?

Any help appreciated.

edit: Ignore the graph part

post-365-0-69142600-1313743450_thumb.jpg

Why don't you show us your reasoning and your answer, with appropriate units ?

Okay i'm also a student preparing for my exams, i used Newtons second law in standard form combined with in momentum and i found the contact time to differ from the anser in the book. Please tell me youre anser so I can correct or confirm it, i'm not allowed to just give it to you so sorry:(

Craxshot - not sure why you want to involve force and mass (ie N's 2 law) or momentum.

Change of velocity over time period is average acceleration. The problem gives the initial velocity u and the final velocity v and the acceleration and you need to find the time elapsed t ; one of the basic equations of motion (SUVAT) that I learnt included all those terms. The standard equations of motion depend on a uniform acceleration - but you have been told the average acceleration, for an overall answer is there a difference?

Neo - And Timo is quite right - you would lose a hatful of points for failing to include units

ok i did what I usually do and make thing too complicated, but the masses elliminated and in the end i just came to that basic eqaution with the same answer, so i stand incorrected, but yes what you said is a lot less complicated but the results are the same none the less, and I still don't get the anser you're book claims.

Edited by CraXshot

Craxshot - oh yeah - how they managed to get an answer that is that small is beyond me. As Timo hinted it is about right in terms of the units of a day (but still by no mean correct - just order of magnitude correct). To know that an answer like that is wrong just use orders of magnitude to check it quickly - contact less than a millionth of a second, acceleration/change of speed thousands of m/s per second, change of speed tens of metres/second...

Okay i'm also a student preparing for my exams, i used Newtons second law in standard form combined with in momentum and i found the contact time to differ from the anser in the book. Please tell me youre anser so I can correct or confirm it, i'm not allowed to just give it to you so sorry:(

Let's be clear here. You are the one asking for help. You can receive help by showng your rationale and work. We will not do your work for you. What you are "allowed" to do is your problem. If you want help from me, I require that you provide your work.

I don't need the practice of solving freshman problems.

@CraXshot: Let's be clear here. You are the one asking for help. You can receive help by showng your rationale and work. We will not do your work for you. What you are "allowed" to do is your problem.

I think when asking "what is your result" CraXshot was addressing neo007 (who started this thread), not the general audience. And CraXshot is indeed not supposed to provide an answer for neo.

Edited by timo

I think when asking "what is your result" CraXshot was addressing neo007 (who started this thread), not the general audience. And CraXshot is indeed not supposed to provide an answer for neo.

Good point. I stand corrected.

No, the given answer is not numerically right, assuming no change in units.

You have been given the initial velocity and a final velocity. The thing here is that the final velocity vector is opposite in direction the the initial one. So, I can take them as 25 m/s and -20 m/s. Now, whats the change in velocity? Average acceleration (a) is given as 3000 m/s2.

a=(dv/dt)

you know 'a' and 'dv'. Find 'dt' :)

I am an engineer and teaching is my passion. you can ask me questions at Techster . I'll be happy to help you out!

Edited by techster