How does radiation cause genetic mutation?

Xenophone

Hi guys. I'm new here, and a dumb little kid to boot. Need help with a project where we've to design a kit to raise awareness about atomic bombs. I'm doing the biology component, and I need someone to help explain how radiation causes genetic mutation in simple terms. Like to a highschool moron. Thanks :)

Can't say I understood much of that, but thanks anyways. <BR>Where do the high energy photons come from? (Sorry, haven't even done the basic research :/)<BR><BR>On a side note, if it helps, I'm referring to nuclear radiation

Edited by Xenophone

• 2 weeks later...

The biological effect depends on where the mutation occurs (where that mispaired base gets put in). If its put into a gene, then there may be a problem. Look up what a codon is, and imagine how changing a base pair may result in a different amino acid being put in (if it is put in the first or second position, not always the third, due to whats called "wobble"). If this affects the folding or the active part of the protein (the part that does the work) it could render it useless. how would this affect the cell?

Also, look up sunburns, and other mechanisms like that, where UV radiation affects the body. Pay attention to "thymine dimers" and how this affects the machinery - how DNA and proteins are made. Imagine a train, wtih a rock on the rail.

Some, even, are so strong that they literally rip pieces apart. Look up gamma rays, read about how they do damage.