Quick Question

mark_elliott

Hi SF

Just a quick question regarding something. I have a meeting with the physics and astronomy Professor at my local University with the promise of completing some voluntary work and hopefully moving on to something more permanent when i have completed more study. My question is there anything in particular you could advise on the matter to help me come across as someone the University could really use or would it be similar to a standard interview?.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hi SF

Just a quick question regarding something. I have a meeting with the physics and astronomy Professor at my local University with the promise of completing some voluntary work and hopefully moving on to something more permanent when i have completed more study. My question is there anything in particular you could advise on the matter to help me come across as someone the University could really use or would it be similar to a standard interview?.

It depends on what it is that you might be doing.

Hi SF

Hey, if you're after a moot point you could discuss the issues at cern or why the standard model doesn't account for gravity. You may need to be a little more specific about what you're asking.

I spoke to the professor over the phone, he said it would require some training at my current level. I imagine it will just be helping out on some research at the physics and astronomy labs.

This is lab technician position?

Find out if that also includes helping in the teaching labs.

Good luck with it.

(corrected spelling)

Edited by ajb

As you obviously cannot get up to speed on the specific area that the research group concentrate on, both because you are unsure of what it is and in such a short time - perhaps read up on the Scientific Method in general, the need for objectivity, repeatability, and falsifiability - which will crop up what ever area your labs are studying. Statistics and data analysis are pretty universal - but very hard to get a grip on

Good Luck btw

Do you know the type or research they undertake, physics is very broad, most research groups are quite specific.

A list of current research undertaken by the astrophysics department

Dynamics of nearby galaxies.

Mapping the epoch of galaxy formations.

Linking mass and light in the universe.

Astrophysical simulation

particle cosmology

Formation and evolution of the galaxies

Dark matter

And measuring galaxy bias.

This is the area i'm most interested in within physics and have stated that to the professor.