Lunar reflectors for long-base-line G.Wave detectr?

Widdekind

Could you use reflectors, anchored to the moon, for long-base-line Gravity Wave detectors? What about satellites, or systems thereof, in Geo-Synchronous Orbit? (Or, given the success of detecting earth's precession, with Relativistic accuracy, w/ gyro-scopes, could 3 mutually-perpendicular gyro-scopes detect GWs -- i.e., would GWs affect transverse vs. longitudinal rotations differently??)

"Could you use reflectors, anchored to the moon, for long-base-line Gravity Wave detectors?"

Yes, but where would you put the other end of the base line?

Earth's atmosphere pretty much rules it out.

So you would need a satellite in orbit round the moon to use as the "other end" You could do that, but the earth's gravitational field would make it difficult.

It's probably best to do what they already chose to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the clarifications. If I might impose -- if interferometry allows multiple radio dishes, to be "thralled" together, to mimic a (patchy) radar of much larger dimensions... can something similar be done, at optical wavelengths ? To wit, could a "farm" of "solar panels", as it were, be thralled together, to mimic large >1000m, multi-acre, mirrors ??

All I'm saying is, "gravitational lensing" -- i.e., a transiting compact object makes observable "gravitational scintillations" in earth-bound light rays, by "warping" space-time; similarly, masses can also induce propagating "vibrations" in space-time, which would produce effects similar to grav. lensing, i.e., "grav. scintillation".