Community Ecology of Agricultural Species

JBobonathan

I must admit that my topic of interest is inspired by various forms of organic agriculture especially those idealized by Masanobu Fukuoka and the world of permaculture. Both of which encourage one to create their own plant community of edibles which requires minimal tending (fertilization, weeding, pesticides, & tilling) due to a fine balance between the natural functions of all species in accordance with their environment. In this setting plants grow in proximity to different species instead of in neat rows of monocultures, weeds and other pest species are given value, and there is a natural succession of species through out the season. Much like that of a "natural" ecosystem.

In contemplating of these ideas and trying it out a little in my backyard I've come to realize how valuable it might be if there were a resource to describing the ecological niches of both agricultural plant and animal species. Plant form, site requirements, phenology, nutrient use and any other information which might aid in the creation of these "everything gardens". Perhaps there might somewhere be a table which classifies these species groups based upon their ecosystem functions. Like perhaps carrots and radish might be classified together because they both have tap roots? Something like that...

Does anybody have any information about this topic? Perhaps some links, books, or articles you could recommend for specific information on species? Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks!